Working when you return

Started by heartsink
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

heartsink

PGY1
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Specifically aimed at non-trads who worked while they took their pre reqs and got accepted: how much (hours / week) were you working while you took classes? What kind of gpas did you come out with?

I had planned on quitting my retail job when I begin classes again next January but I unexpectedly got an interview for a job offer for a paid research position at a nearby hospital. I couldn't imagine a better opportunity to build experience and network but I don't want my gpa to suffer for it. Obviously right now it's all hypothetical as I haven't been offered anything but I wanted to hear some thoughts, thanks in advance for any input
 
I'm not accepted but maybe this could prove to be of some value:

When I first started two years ago I was working ~ 40 hour weeks with a full science course load (stupid as hell in hind sight) Wound up with a 3.06 (28 credits).

This past year I cut my hours down to ~ 16 - 24 hours a week while doing a full science course load and bumped up to 3.50 (29 credits).

I think it varies with how rigorous the classes you plan on taking are but finding a work-school balance is really important and to be honest I really had to sharpen up a few of my study skills.
 
I should note the position is 20 hours a week, definitely not a full time deal. So that actually makes me feel a bit more confident about this if you had more luck with a lighter work schedule.

Were you taking full time course loads after you dropped your hours?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Specifically aimed at non-trads who worked while they took their pre reqs and got accepted: how much (hours / week) were you working while you took classes? What kind of gpas did you come out with?

I had planned on quitting my retail job when I begin classes again next January but I unexpectedly got an interview for a job offer for a paid research position at a nearby hospital. I couldn't imagine a better opportunity to build experience and network but I don't want my gpa to suffer for it. Obviously right now it's all hypothetical as I haven't been offered anything but I wanted to hear some thoughts, thanks in advance for any input
I worked full time as a lab assistant while taking a full course load every semester for about 3 years as a post bach then SMP student. While I didn't complete my pre reqs I took advanced coursework and did very well. It took a great deal of time management and many sleepless nights but I think I learned how to study much better this way then in undergrad. In medical school you have to learn how to study after being in class 8-5 so if anything it will help you when that time comes.