Working while in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docveda

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting dschool in the fall and was wondering if i will have time to work to make some cash on the side. if so, what kinds of jobs do you guys recommend?? Are there jobs actually in dental school that i can apply for??? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Check out the Library, you may be able to pick up a work/study job.

thanks for the reply dutchboy. So you are saying there should be sometime to work part time?

Members don't see this ad :)
You will have to check your schedule. I have a couple friends that are working at the library but they didn't start until after their first year of D-school. I remember talking to other students at other schools on interviews doing the same thing.

any other opinions???

tutoring if you're really good at bio, chem, or organic.

i make $50/hr tutoring freshmen chemistry.

jb!:)

I had a landscaping business before dental school. It can be more stressful than you think. You will probably have to mow on the weekends and if it rains your SOL. Then your customers will be calling and bitching because their lawns are getting long. You need either storage or a house with a garage to store your equipment. If your doing more than one or two lawns you will need to buy a commercial lawn mower, weed-whip, edger, blower, etc. Even with the high end equipment you will still have equipment breaking down and constantly requiring costly parts. What do you plan on doing with the grass you cut? You'll need a truck to haul it to the landfill and tow your equipment. Oh, and you better keep those hands out of the shoot because I've never heard of a one handed dentist!

i think dental school is pretty time consuming by itself. balancing a job while being a full time student would be prett difficult. you'd have to start out having great time management skills or else you'll be doomed.

While I was up in Boston interviewing at Tufts someone said that after your second year you can become a hygienist. Can someone confirm that?

While I was up in Boston interviewing at Tufts someone said that after your second year you can become a hygienist. Can someone confirm that?
that is a state by state law.. virginia requires you finish 3rd year and that the person you working for becoming an adjunct faculty.. but you can do some stuff under the table..

I had classmates you worked as hygienists over the weekends to supplement their income. Some were hygienists before d-school, and some after they took the hygiene exam which is typically after 2nd year.

Working during the week is not an easy taks while in school due to class schedules, administrative meetings scheduled all over the place, or even just studying, but it can be done.

I'm working a desk job at a local health club. I sit there, smile, watch people as they scan their membership cards, say goodbye when they leave and study in between. It's pretty chill. I only do Saturdays and Sundays so it doesn't interfere with the weekly schedule. The only skill you need to get the job is be able to answer a phone...pretty complicated stuff :rolleyes:

If your school allows transcripts and you can type fast enough, you can transcribe some courses that you are taking. That way you would get paid and studying at the same time. However, I would suggest not to work while in school unless you REALLY have to.

I dont think you should work in dental school. The $10-$20 you could make per hour is nothing compared to the money you will make once you graduate. The time that you use to work you could be partying, relaxing, or just decompressing. That is far more valuable than the $12.50 you will make waiting desk at a hotel. Everyone here already knows about delayed gratification, but some of us need to realize that we need to take things as they come and live everyday to its fullest. I recently realized things are not always about the ending. I cant wait till I get out. I cant wait till I get established. I cant wait till the kids get out of school. I cant wait till I retire. Just have some fun and relax during your free time.

I used to kick *$$ at a biker bar. Best $10/hour I ever made. Plus I could toss out a couple of business cards to get some requirements. I got a max/man complete denture, some amalgams, and some anterior crowns on a leather clad biker chick. School was awesome

I dont think you should work in dental school. The $10-$20 you could make per hour is nothing compared to the money you will make once you graduate. The time that you use to work you could be partying, relaxing, or just decompressing. That is far more valuable than the $12.50 you will make waiting desk at a hotel.

Some people don't have the luxury to not work while in school. Loans barely cover the cost of living so for some it's either work or not eat. Granted it isn't much, but at least there's money still coming in from somewhere.

There are plenty of people out there that will loan you money.

Just get married to a dental hygienist. Its working out great for me!

I worked in dental school. Parked cars on the weekend at a catering hall. Parked 7-8. Studied 8-11:30. Unparked 11:30-1.
Free dinner from the kitchen. Did three parties a weekend, Sat Afternoon, Sat night, Sunday afternoon.
When I got tired of parking cars (outdoor job in winter), I worked as a phlebotomist at the hospital across the street form the D school. Drew blood 5 days/week from 6-7:30am on the wards, then went to class. Worked out fine.
I needed the money for little things like rent and food. IMHO NUKE has a narrow view things. Not everyone in the class has big resources. Borrowing money is not always the answer.

Reactions: 2 users
I tutor ACT/SAT for $50/hr twice a week. But you have to build some sort of reputation with the surrounding area, it might be a little more difficult if you're from out of state.