working while in school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepodchi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I was wondering how common or uncommon it is for students to work part-time while in school? How many hours do students work if they do work? And where do you guys normally work? I will be starting at Scholl this fall. Any input would be much appreciated!!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
I was wondering how common or uncommon it is for students to work part-time while in school? How many hours do students work if they do work? And where do you guys normally work? I will be starting at Scholl this fall. Any input would be much appreciated!!
Thanks!

If you are talking about working at the school thats maybe possible. Likely less than 10 hours per week. If you are talking about working at the local general store or whatever then good luck.

You should start school and see how you adjust to the course load before you even think about working to make some extra money. I just finished my first year at scholl for our class there is a group of students that work at a local pod clinic 1 day a week I believe. Then you have other people (myself included) who tutor. And I'm not sure about other jobs around campus. But no one works off campus at the local ace hardware or walgreens.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Course load is massive. Not everyone has the option of not working. But you really want to give it your all your first 2 years so you don't have to worry about failing boards later on.

Is it possible to hold a part time job during pod school? Yes. Reasonable given 18-21 credit hour semesters? Not really.

Just don't want you to look back and regret it later that's all. If you're a genius then hell go for it. Every dollar counts as long as you can keep your grades up.

Reactions: 1 users
Lots of people tutor or TA. It's not a whole lot of money, but it's at least some form of income and helps with keeping stuff fresh for boards as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't comment on Scholl specifically, but your ideal student job imo is a low stress, on campus babysitting type job with minimal interaction and lots of studying. If your job involves you doing anything besides being a warm body in a chair that occasionally scans a textbook or ID badge - its not the right job. At DMU this is perfectly embodied by the REC desk and library desk. Its decently paid and there aren't that many interactions. I will note that at DMU the library hours did go kind of late - could be wrong, but this might require you to occasionally man the desk till midnight.

I will just throw this out there. I had a highly involved $25 an hour job my first year. There wasn't a lot going on and my previous employer really wanted my help. I worked a couple of days in a row and then gave in when they begged me to pick up some extra work. I blew off studying for a SPAL (like did no preparation/timed practiced for it) because I thought it didn't matter and I could fake my way through. It was a stupid mistake and it cost me a letter grade and a bunch of extra time remediating damn thing. Moral of the story - we're in school to be podiatrists. Do not let $200 interfere with your future.

Reactions: 2 users
If you live in an area where a car is handy, you could try driving for Uber / Lyft. Super flexible hours that allow you to work when you feel like it or not work when you have to study for exams. I know someone who does this and it works for them. Generally speaking, it's pretty tough to hold a traditional job as the hours and time commitment just doesn't really allow for it.

Reactions: 1 users