Working while taking pre-requisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lifes' Curve ball

Reaction score
Hello all,

Has anyone worked full-time while attending night classes at a university or junior college? If so, how long did it take you to complete the pre-reqs? Were you mentally drained from working all day then having to attend lecture/labs?

Jimmy needs the cash inflow to pay the rent and health insurance to pay for medical costs, so he cannot quit his day job.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I did not have a traditional day job but worked multiple part time jobs that added up to around 40hrs a week during full time classes. The problem I ran into is that most schools do not offer the prerequisites needed as night classes so I had to quit my day job and find something more flexible. I’m sure it is doable if your college offers night classes but start slow so you know how much you can handle. Prerequisite grades matter.

Basically what was said above ^^

I worked 2 part time jobs for around 45 hours a week because it was impossible to take all night/evening classes. Pre-reqs such as Chem/Physics/Anatomy/etc we’re pretty much never offered past 3pm. You’d most likely have an easier time taking classes T/TH all day with early morning MWF class if necessary. And work nights, MWF days and weekends.

This was the schedule that was most successful for me. Good luck!

It's doable. I worked and did my pre-reqs but it wasn't full time because most courses aren't offered in the evening. The only evening classes you'll find are three-credit courses like government, etc. All my four-credit classes were in the morning. Batch your classes so you only have to go to the campus 1-2x a week.