Working with a temporary license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keston02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't quite find the answer to this question anywhere that I look. I will be graduating in May 2015 and taking the July 2015 boards. I currently live in Kentucky, which offers a temporary licensure program to work, which people have previously taken advantage of that I know, and I would also like to do so because I will need the money. My only issue is that I want to do travel therapy once I get my license, but one of the companies that I talked to recommended that I pick which state I want my first assignment to be in when I apply for a license so that I won't have to go through the wait of getting a secondary license.

My question is, can I get a temporary license in Kentucky, and then apply for a permanent license in, say, Texas without applying for a permanent one in Kentucky first?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... not sure of the answer to this... None of my classmates (or myself) opted for temporary license since we graduated in mid-Dec and took the boards at the end of Jan...

Your question is confusing.

Only certain states have temporary licensing so check to see if your desired destination has it. You cannot get a permanent license unless you passed the board. So...if you want to work in Texas then you should check to see if they have temporary licensing and apply for one there without having to mess around with Kentucky.

But if you question refers to after passing the NPTE while having the temp license in KEntucky then I think your temp license switches to permanent as soon as you pass without doing much.

Last edited: