Working with developmentally disabled population

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackBantie

The Black Bantam
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The state I live in has an entity called Department of Aging and Disability Services and they operate supported living centers. They basically serve people with intellectual and developmental disorders. It's used as a respite for families but people can live there long term. There are a bunch of job openings for psychiatrists to work at these centers. From the job descriptions, it sounds like you're basically handling med management issues. The hours are great, there's little to no call, and the pay is >200k and that'll go a long way with the low cost of living here.

However, we don't really get a lot of exposure to managing meds in the developmentally disabled population here in my residency program so I'm not too sure if I have the skillset for this setting. I'm also not sure how rewarding this kind of a setting is either. I'd imagine you'd be handling behavioral issues during the majority of the time. Has anyone worked in this kind of setting before? If so, did you find it gratifying or enjoyable?

Members don't see this ad.