Working with techs, interns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevephhs016

Zug Zug
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So one aspect of pharmacy which they never really taught in school is management. How to work with techs, interns, etc etc.

And with some of the news talking about disguntled techs shooting the pharmacists, this issue becomes more important.

So what are some of your ways, tips in terms of working with your co-workers. Assigning tasks within the pharmacy....etc etc.

This is more of a way to help the up and coming pharmacists (aka me) in ways to foster a better, more teamworkish environment.

Members don't see this ad.

And with some of the news talking about disguntled tech shooting the pharmacist, this issue becomes more important.

fixed.

i dunno, i don't think you can teach "don't be an ass hole" to anyone...that just has to be learned on the job.

There's a book called "how to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.

Practice what it says and you'll be a leader everyone will flock to. It's quite simple actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a book called "how to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.

Practice what it says and you'll be a leader everyone will flock to. It's quite simple actually.

Dale Carnegie's books always seem pretty good, but more like common sense than anything else. I guess most people don't practice common sense? :confused:

Nice, I got that audio book.

Dale Carnegie's books always seem pretty good, but more like common sense than anything else. I guess most people don't practice common sense? :confused:

It's not the lack of common sense where people fail..ok, some do fail. But it takes energy and effort to carry out those suggestions outlined by Dale Carnegie.

Before the internet and PDAs, I carried a Franklin Planner. And on the back was a typed up (yes, with a typewriter) summary I made of Dale Carnegie's book not because I lacked the common sense, but I needed a constant reminder.

I bet if I can find my old Franklin planner cover, it's still there. But wiki does a nice job of summarizing it. This is literally word by word on my summary. I faked it until it became a part of me. And it didn't take long. I started doing this during P1 year. Enjoy.

I know...y'all can't fathom me doing this but my internet persona isn't how I really am when dealing with people in my daily work environment. But I practice this daily.

Fundamental Techniques in Handling People
  1. Don't criticize, condemn or complain.
  2. Give honest and sincere appreciation.
  3. Arouse in the other person an eager want.
Six Ways to Make People Like You

1. Become genuinely interested in other people.
  2. Smile.
  3. Remember that a man's Name is to him the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
  4. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
  5. Talk in the terms of the other man's interest.
  6. Make the other person feel important and do it sincerely.
Twelve Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking

1. Avoid arguments.
  2. Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never tell someone they are wrong.
  3. If you're wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
  4. Begin in a friendly way.
  5. Start with questions the other person will answer yes to.
  6. Let the other person do the talking.
  7. Let the other person feel the idea is his/hers.
  8. Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.
  9. Sympathize with the other person.
  10. Appeal to noble motives.
  11. Dramatize your ideas.
  12. Throw down a challenge.
Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment

1. Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
  2. Call attention to other people's mistakes indirectly.
  3. Talk about your own mistakes first.
  4. Ask questions instead of directly giving orders.
  5. Let the other person save face.
  6. Praise every improvement.
  7. Give them a fine reputation to live up to.
  8. Encourage them by making their faults seem easy to correct.
  9. Make the other person happy about doing what you suggest.

Oh...and learn to say with enthusiasm, smile, and a sincere gesture..

Great Job!!! Fantastic Work!!!

They forgot to say change your name hundreds of times like you did. You are a very likable person. :thumbup:

To OP, keep in mind that there are some techs that cannot be saved and if you need the person, just be the bigger man and give in provided you set up boundaries.

They forgot to say change your name hundreds of times like you did. You are a very likable person. :thumbup:

To OP, keep in mind that there are some techs that cannot be saved and if you need the person, just be the bigger man and give in provided you set up boundaries.

haha good point.

Again, that's where the experience comes in in terms of knowing how to set up boundaries.

[/LIST]Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment

1. Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
  2. Call attention to other people's mistakes indirectly.
  3. Talk about your own mistakes first.
  4. Ask questions instead of directly giving orders.
  5. Let the other person save face.
  6. Praise every improvement.
  7. Give them a fine reputation to live up to.
  8. Encourage them by making their faults seem easy to correct.
  9. Make the other person happy about doing what you suggest.

This is def important! Thanks for bringing this up Z

A new pharmacist can never run the show at the beginning, it all has to be learned on the job. For example, when my boss got a partner, the lead techs and the interns were basically teaching everything to the new pharmacists.

At the time, I had more exp than the pharmacist in the pharmacy, so I was the one delegating tasks, while the pharmacist basically verified. (It felt weird for a while). Now, she's really on top of things.

Who needs Dale Carnegie when you have Sparda29, aka Pharmacy God.:laugh:

haha good point.

Again, that's where the experience comes in in terms of knowing how to set up boundaries.

My boundaries are set by my level of liability compared to an associate/tech/intern. If there is an error, I can lose my job and/or my license. They lose nothing, except perhaps some sleep if they are conscientious. At the end of the day, there is a target on your back as PIC. Set your boundaries accordingly.
For working with anyone, I like to meditate on "Waking up at Work" by Michael Carroll, from the Best Buddhist Writing of 2005.
For assigning tasks, get to know the individuals first. I have found with one particular tech, the easiest way to get them to do something is to tell them I will take care of it later cause it is complex, the way to guarantee they won't get to a particular task is to ask them to do it :).

A new pharmacist can never run the show at the beginning, it all has to be learned on the job. For example, when my boss got a partner, the lead techs and the interns were basically teaching everything to the new pharmacists.

At the time, I had more exp than the pharmacist in the pharmacy, so I was the one delegating tasks, while the pharmacist basically verified. (It felt weird for a while). Now, she's really on top of things.

That would depend on the character of the pharmacist...

Having a good understanding of work flow also helps. If the pharmacy is staffed by only you and your tech, then don't expect (or force) them to do everything (ie. type, fill, work drive thru, phone, etc.) You, as a pharmacist, will have to pick up some of the workload such as filling and backup at the drive through. I think when you show that you are a team player and help out the staff, they will respect you more, have better attitudes, and work harder.

Very true.

What if all people in my pharmacy department are gonna read this book? Can we all be leaders? How is that gonna work? :confused:

What if all people in my pharmacy department are gonna read this book? Can we all be leaders? How is that gonna work? :confused:

If everyone read it and practiced it...you'll have one awesome department. Unfortunately, not everyone will read it and not everyone who read it will practice it. Because some people just can't.