Working Your Way Thru Pharm School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PA Reqired

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Without going into specific details, let's just say I'm going to have to work a lot more during pharm school than I thought. Loans will cover most of it, but for various reasons I'm going to have to have additional expenses to cover.

Is it possible to work roughly 30 hours a week and survive school? I've heard of people working 15 or so, usually on the weekend, but never any more than that.

Thank you in advance.
 
Without going into specific details, let's just say I'm going to have to work a lot more during pharm school than I thought. Loans will cover most of it, but for various reasons I'm going to have to have additional expenses to cover.

Is it possible to work roughly 30 hours a week and survive school? I've heard of people working 15 or so, usually on the weekend, but never any more than that.

Thank you in advance.

Man up. Grow a pair. You can do it! 🤣

Totally just kidding. Hopefully a pharm student will come on here and answer your question but during my interviews, I asked the pharmacy students about this and they all said it is possible during P1 year to work that many hours but not so much during P2 year. But, I know how you feel. I have no choice in the matter, anyway. I am stuck working 20 hours a week. We have a medical student here where I work who is working full-time and is in his MS2. He said it sucks and that he is the only one that can do it. Maybe not everyone can do it but I guess some can? Dunno.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible, of course. But you will probably have to give up social time with classmates, etc. If you're cool with that, and not afraid of burn out then I'm sure you can survive if you have impeccable time management and organization. Personally I am going to have to work about 10 hrs a week, maybe more... Plus I have a competitve sport/activity that I'd like to continue since it keeps me sane. Its going to be hard, but I'd rather be busy personally.
 
Is it possible, of course. But you will probably have to give up social time with classmates, etc. If you're cool with that, and not afraid of burn out then I'm sure you can survive if you have impeccable time management and organization. Personally I am going to have to work about 10 hrs a week, maybe more... Plus I have a competitve sport/activity that I'd like to continue since it keeps me sane. Its going to be hard, but I'd rather be busy personally.

Thank you for your response.

I worked full time throughout my undergrad so I know what options are foregone. Luckily I'm married, so I'll at least have someone to talk to, I just don't know how feasible it is with my studies.
 
I was going to ask if you had ever worked 30-40 hrs during college... That's also a plus if you are married imo since you won't be so lonely while staying in to study. I think you are in a better position to gauge whether it is feasible to work that much since you did it during undergrad. I lived with my boyfriend for the past 3 years, along with my 2 cats so I don't mind staying in when I get off work and studying at night. Lol
 
I was going to ask if you had ever worked 30-40 hrs during college... That's also a plus if you are married imo since you won't be so lonely while staying in to study. I think you are in a better position to gauge whether it is feasible to work that much since you did it during undergrad. I lived with my boyfriend for the past 3 years, along with my 2 cats so I don't mind staying in when I get off work and studying at night. Lol

I'm more concerned about keeping up with the classload as I know it will be different than undergrad.

I really really don't want to have to go this route, but I don't have much of a choice at the moment.
 
it's definitely possible

two people i work with worked two jobs (around 20 or so hours a week) all three years with no problems.

4th year is what you make of it.. i would think 20-30 wouldnt be difficult . 16 weekends, maybe 2-3 5hr night shifts.

I worked 12 p1 year and thought i had extremely excessive free time. 30 would not have been a problem.. i anticipate much busier classwork the next two years though.

one thing to think about though...

trading grades for more face time with employers may be a wise idea.
 
Last edited:
Totally depends on the student. I am a second year student and i think couple of our students worked 24-30 some of the weeks.

Nice if you could find a job that lets you come whenever you want to.

But it really depends we had students who didn't work much remediable, some of our best students worked. You must be ok with getting lower grades maybe B's bc you have to accept that you won't have enough time go over the lectures compared to your classmates. Also, if your school is from 8-12 it's a huge advantage.

It's doable, but i recommend not to! I would try to get more grad plus loans and just work 16 hrs. Pharm school and personal life can be so stressful.
 
It's possible, but it will be tough during exam time/ rotation time.

You can always work less during the school year and then during the summer break, pick up 2 jobs to make up for lost time. I know someone working 60hrs a week during the summer.
 
Depends on the nature of the job, your sleep requirements, your time management skills, and your willingness to sacrifice leisure time.
 
Totally depends on the student. I am a second year student and i think couple of our students worked 24-30 some of the weeks.

Nice if you could find a job that lets you come whenever you want to.

But it really depends we had students who didn't work much remediable, some of our best students worked. You must be ok with getting lower grades maybe B's bc you have to accept that you won't have enough time go over the lectures compared to your classmates. Also, if your school is from 8-12 it's a huge advantage.

It's doable, but i recommend not to! I would try to get more grad plus loans and just work 16 hrs. Pharm school and personal life can be so stressful.

I will take out loans for some of what I can. Part of the problem is some undergrad loans have already lapsed into payment and I just found out my wife is pregnant which means she will be unable to work full time.

Seems that this shall be my only option for now.

I don't mind getting Bs as long as I learn the material as odd as that may sound.
 
I worked full time ever since I was 17. Through college and everything. And still had a full social life, wide circle of friends and left over free time. It's all about time management, like others said over and over. Sounds cliche, but that's the only constraint you have. Plus, if you must do it, why ponder if it's possible? If it has to be done, it will be done. End of story.
 
I will take out loans for some of what I can. Part of the problem is some undergrad loans have already lapsed into payment and I just found out my wife is pregnant which means she will be unable to work full time.

Seems that this shall be my only option for now.

I don't mind getting Bs as long as I learn the material as odd as that may sound.

Are those loans not eligible for fulltime study deferment? That is what I am doing, you might have to pay the interest, but it is still a reduction.

I would also contact financial aid and explain the situation (if you haven't yet) they might have some ideas recommendations to get you through the first year. I know I have a FAFSA verification that is asking about child care payments, so that will be factored into your student loans after the little one is here. And if you have to, there are government programs that can help close the gaps if you find you still can't make ends meet while working and in school.
 
30 can be done the first year...however, I caution against 30 hours/week during the second year. Once you start therapeutics and pharmacology it will be very tough to pass your classes working that often.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I worked fulltime and went to school full time while taking Ochem in undergrad along with other science classes. I watched as many of the "premed"'ers I knew were flunking as I pulled a B. Its all about time management. One of my pharmacists at work said ochem was harder than anything he did in pharm school (at purdue). So I think its feasible to work fulltime in pharm school, but I definitely won't be doing it.
 
Are those loans not eligible for fulltime study deferment? That is what I am doing, you might have to pay the interest, but it is still a reduction.

I would also contact financial aid and explain the situation (if you haven't yet) they might have some ideas recommendations to get you through the first year. I know I have a FAFSA verification that is asking about child care payments, so that will be factored into your student loans after the little one is here. And if you have to, there are government programs that can help close the gaps if you find you still can't make ends meet while working and in school.

They're private loans. I'm a first generation college student so I did a lot of this stuff on my own initially and... well let's just say Wells Fargo screwed me a bit and I didn't realize it.

Thanks for the input guys, I wasn't planning on doing more than 30, but I think if I can bank enough money inbetween P1 and P2 years I should be good.
 
I will take out loans for some of what I can. Part of the problem is some undergrad loans have already lapsed into payment and I just found out my wife is pregnant which means she will be unable to work full time.

Seems that this shall be my only option for now.

I don't mind getting Bs as long as I learn the material as odd as that may sound.

Congrats on the baby man. You sound very motivated and if you did fine in undergrad, you should be fine! Just try to make friends who take good notes if you miss a class or two and ask the second yr students for tips. GL!