Worried about acceptance....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satinsixstring

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm just really getting worried about getting into med school, and could use some tips/encouragement.

Anyway, I'm a UCR Biology student with a 3.79 GPA and a higher Science one, and I got a 31Q on my MCAT last August (10VR 11PS 10BS).

My EC's include shadowing time with a Neurologist, an article under submission, a full time job, and various little volunteer things (working with autistic kids at the local elementary school, tutoring high school kids). Oh, and I have some guitar stuff I think I may also be adding too (lots of lessons).

I am filling out my AMCAS, and will be submitting probably next week, my current schools include most of the California schools (All UC's, Loma Linda, etc..), and a couple big names (Harvard, Yale).

Can I get some other suggestions on schools to apply to? I know Albert Einstein is going on the list, but I'd love some more suggestions.

Where I really want to go is UCSD....am I competitive at all? How about the other Cali schools? I really want to stay in my home state, and UCSD has been my dream school for a long time now....

That being said, be honest....and tell me what you think.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

satinsixstring said:
Hey guys

....That being said, be honest....and tell me what you think.

Thanks

Hello! :)

Honestly, I think you're in a good position outside of the fact that there doesn't seem to be too much that distinguishes you from the next 3.8 guy with a 31 MCAT. Outside of that, your numbers are solid and I'm sure you'll get some interviews.

In terms of competitiveness at the schools you listed, the usual responses you'll get here on SDN are

1) Buy an MSAR and compare your numbers;
2) Check out mdapplicants.com to see where people of similar stats have gotten in.

Anybody who makes a recommendation on your list of schools will likely pull it from those two sources.

Good luck! :thumbup:

satinsixstring said:
Hey guys

I'm just really getting worried about getting into med school, and could use some tips/encouragement.

Anyway, I'm a UCR Biology student with a 3.79 GPA and a higher Science one, and I got a 31Q on my MCAT last August (10VR 11PS 10BS).

My EC's include shadowing time with a Neurologist, an article under submission, a full time job, and various little volunteer things (working with autistic kids at the local elementary school, tutoring high school kids). Oh, and I have some guitar stuff I think I may also be adding too (lots of lessons).

I am filling out my AMCAS, and will be submitting probably next week, my current schools include most of the California schools (All UC's, Loma Linda, etc..), and a couple big names (Harvard, Yale).

Can I get some other suggestions on schools to apply to? I know Albert Einstein is going on the list, but I'd love some more suggestions.

Where I really want to go is UCSD....am I competitive at all? How about the other Cali schools? I really want to stay in my home state, and UCSD has been my dream school for a long time now....

That being said, be honest....and tell me what you think.

Thanks
UCSD SOM has an average GPA of 3.76 and a MCAT of around 33 for accepted applicants. So, considering you want to go there, yeah...you're competitive still.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are in great shape, but the application process can be a crap shoot. I would apply to many more than just the UCs plus havard & yale...

I applied last year with a 3.85, 31R, and lots of research/volunteer (publications, etc.) I was not accepted to any California schools (I went to UCLA). I would definitely add a few more to your list. I got into Temple and NYMC. In addition, you should look at some more middle tier (and even a few lower tier schools). If you only go for Ca schools, and the Ivys, you will likely be disappointed. Your MCAT, like mine, is solid, but nothing remarkable, so Harvard and Yale will probably blow you off. By the way, if you are planning on applying to Loma Linda, you kind of need to be religious...they ask you about christ in your interview

NYMC MD 2B said:
I applied last year with a 3.85, 31R, and lots of research/volunteer (publications, etc.) I was not accepted to any California schools (I went to UCLA). I would definitely add a few more to your list. I got into Temple and NYMC. In addition, you should look at some more middle tier (and even a few lower tier schools). If you only go for Ca schools, and the Ivys, you will likely be disappointed. Your MCAT, like mine, is solid, but nothing remarkable, so Harvard and Yale will probably blow you off. By the way, if you are planning on applying to Loma Linda, you kind of need to be religious...they ask you about christ in your interview

Any recomendations for middle and lower tier schools?

satinsixstring said:
Any recomendations for middle and lower tier schools?

This is really a "What are my chances" thread, and we have a thread for that. Like the second responder said, pick up a copy of the MSAR. Look into: Drexel, RFU, Temple, Albany, etc. It depends on a lot of things.

Do some searches on www.mdapplicants.com and see where people got interviews with your stats. Good luck.

If you live in Riverside you shouldn't be worried about anything but breathing!

(I graduated from Norte Vista High 20 years ago) :)

You have excellent grades and scores, I don't see why you are worried. Worrying never accomplishes anything and is an emotional and physical drain on our bodies.

If you are willing to relocate, apply to schools outside of California. Remember that becoming a doctor is not about numbers, it is about perseverance. Apparently, lots of people have very good numbers, but quite a few are not willing to persevere in their desire to become doctors, so they go to grad school, do research or seek another profession.

Please never forget the fact that medical education is entirely subjective. It is not a matter of lining up your numbers against the numbers of others and whoever has the highest total wins. It is a matter of a human being looking at your information and for some reason thinking they should give you an interview. You have the base from which to start, so while you are applying, continue to do the community-related things you are doing and keep plugging away. While I am not an adcom member, based upon the information you have provided, I think you have a very good chance of becoming a doctor, but you must be willing to persevere.

Also, don't exclude SGU. As a young, single person, living on a tropical island would be awesome and SGU does provide a class education, despite what some others may think.

Keep your chin up and stop worrying!

Blessings,

Sporky