1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Worried about being uncomfortable in a predominantly white school.

Discussion in 'Underrepresented in Healthcare' started by futurebbydoc, Dec 18, 2008.

1. futurebbydoc

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Did anyone else worry about what the students would be like when applying to a predominantly white school? Or do you go to one now? If so, what are your feelings about it? I've been in mostly black/minority schools my entire life so going to a school with predominantly white students feels like it would be sort of a culture shock for me. Not that I'm not open to everybody, it's just that the thought of being a lonely stranger walking around a school like oberlin where there are few people who look like me scares me.:scared: I want to be comfortable in college, not worrying if I fit in. Also I'm shy which probably wont help my problem much. The thing is I don't think I want to go to an HBCU either because its not diverse enough. If I could find a really good school with an open, friendly atmosphere and a very diverse student body I would be estatic to go there. Any suggestions?:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MsKrispyKreme

MsKrispyKreme The "Hot" sign is on...
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've always been in a predominantly White setting so I have no advice to offer. :oops:

4. Dr Lyss

Dr Lyss Professional Student
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    *sigh* me too...

The sad truth is that most medical schools are predominantly white & as a doctor your colleagues will be predominantly white as well. It's something you can't really escape & you will have to go beyond your comfort zone sooner or later. The only advice I can think of is to do your research when you are applying to schools. If & when you interview look into how diverse the student body seems, what programs or clubs are offered, and how diverse the location is. It's not always easy but as long as you stay true to yourself you will find people to connect with, both white & black

5. Character

5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    it sucks

#4 Character, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  6. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you live in the United States, you are going to find yourself in the minority a majority of the time. It's just a fact of life. My guess is that Oberlin is not that far from Cleveland and you won't be held prisoner so you can go back to the "hood" for some culture infusion any time that you want.

When I headed off to undergraduate, it was to suck every ounce of knowledge out of the chemistry department at the University of Virginia that I could. This took most of my time and what was left over, was spent plotting how to get even more knowledge. Most of the time, I was so busy that I didn't know who was around me. The knowledge doesn't know (or care) what color you are.

You can expose yourself to all types of people and under all kinds of conditions. My guess is that whether a person is white, black, brown, yellow or red, they bleed the same and generally have the same needs. Respect everyone and in return you receive the respect that you as a human command. Seek your social interaction off campus (if you are uncomfortable) but take the opportunity to learn as much as you can in a good institution of higher learning.

You have one shot at doing well and learning what you need to know for success. To master this knows no color but recognizes hard work. These things would be the same even if you attended a HBCU. You just have to work hard and get what you need. Think of this as a golden opportunity not to be distracted.

7. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I may be able to help a little. I went to an all black school from K-8th grade. My highschool had whites, asians, and indians, but a whole lot of blacks too. Then I went to an HBCU for undergrad. Now I am at Loma Linda which is completely different from my previous environments. Out of 195 of us, there are about 14 blacks, of which 3 are guys (including me). In fact, even in the poorer areas surrounding Loma Linda, there aren't any black people really (mostly hispanic). So this is definitely a different environment.

So how am I handling it? Well first off I learned very quickly that you don't have to be, and that you probably won't ever be everyone's friend. Like it was mentioned above, we have different cultures and you may just not gel with some people. But one thing I must say is that there will always be people you can hang out with, whether they be a minority or not. Although I may not really desire to go skiing or bungee jumping (however you spell that) with them I am still pretty cool with a nice subset of them. And honestly that is good enough. You won't ever get the family feel like you will get being at Howard, Meharry, or an HBCU, but you will still be able to make good friends who aren't of your color. Just like you may not have really been exposed to alot of white people and now you want to, many of your classmates haven't really been exposed to people like you either...and they will be looking to make friends. And plus, with medical school as the common demoninator, friendships and bonds form quickly, regardless of race.

So yeah, if you go to the school with the mindset that they aren't looking at you as "the black student", and if you make sure that you aren't looking at all of your classmates as "the asian student" or "the white student" you will probably fare better.

8. flaahless

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Man, I can really chime in here. I came from a very diverse city and undergrad, and med school for me has been a COMPLETE culture shock. But it's not entirely the schools fault. The city that I'm in, and more importantly, the profession as a whole just aren't that diverse. And, I didn't know ANYONE out here when I moved so it's taken me sometime to establish a social network.

Do I ever feel lonely? All the time. And it gets hard being the ONLY one and feeling like a complete outsider sometimes, but I just look at it as a learning experience and an opportunity for me to make major changes for the generations to follow.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. My school is dope, my classmates are chill and even though many of them don't share the same fascination for Lil Wayne verses that I do, they are still cool people and very diverse as far as life experiences and interests goes.

Overall, it's an unfortunate reality that medicine, and higher education in general, aren't nearly as diverse as we would like. And it's probably gonna get worse as we progress through our careers, beware and be prepared.

9. What up doc

What up doc FLASH
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    lol...at me school all the white ppl love lil wayne...in fact, i suspect his rise to fame in the mainstream crowd was do to his white audience appeal haha

10. ChemEngMD

ChemEngMD No need to hide behind private profiles
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student

100% agree. White people LOVE Lil' Wayne...I think homie is garbage...

11. Dr Lyss

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    young weezy, baby?

12. flaahless

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Haha rap is NOT popular in SF. It's all indie rock out here.

And Wayne been beastin it since 500 degreez.

13. JaySmoove

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#12 JaySmoove, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  14. dancinRN1022

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I feel the same way as you do for the most part. I am not that lonely anymore. I have made a couple of really close and genuine friends here. However moving to the middle of a small city in NC from Brooklyn, NY was definitely a culture shock for me. This was especially evident during election time. However, like you said, this is just the reality. There are literally 6/121 people in my class who are black. I made it a point to meet other black people outside of my school. I am used to being the only black person in a crowd (with my friends in the city)...however it is weird when that role is forced onto you.

The south isn't as bad as I thought but it definitely isn't NYC.

However after much deliberation I have realized that I wouldn't change a thing either!

We just have to get used to it and hopefully in some time in the future the disparity won't be so obvious.

As far as Weezy goes...I looove him! I completely just discovered how great he really is. At first I just thought he was whiny and annoying but his lyrics and flow blow me away!

While he isn't cute at all...he is extremely sexy!

I love all types of music but aside from Jay-Z and biggie I have never really loved a rapper! (I have to love Jay and BIG because I would have my Bed-stuy citizenship revoked otherwise)

Goos luck to everyone applying!! Have a happy and safe holiday season!

15. Character

5+ Year Member

"I have no brain I am ******ed!" "I'm so high I could eat a star!" "This is lil weezy, they cannot see me, they are like stevie!"
    -yeah, great lyrics right...Lil Wayne is mediocre.

if it werent for the tracks produced by kanye, the carter 3 would have been whack...he is not the best rapper alive, and for damn sure, he is not the best lyricist alive...there are so many cats out there that are better than him:common, q-tip,lupe..etc etc...ill admit, lil wayne is the HOTTEST rapper out, but by no means is he the best rapper out....you just gotta sell records to be hot...and b4 u say sellin records and getting radio play make you a great artist...lets not forget about the ying yang twins and artists like that....they sold record and got play, but they are garbage too. ...(whisper song...wtf is that?) but to each his own, i guess.... i do like the beats on his new album though, but i give that credit to kanye, not him.

dont get me wrong though, there are some tracks on carter 3 that get repeated plays on my system:let the beat build, comfortable,and tie my hands...to name a few.

#14 Character, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  16. 19nbj58

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    :laugh: Its true.

17. ChemEngMD

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student

WORD!!! Yo, I don't care what ANYBODY says...Lil' Wayne is GARBAGE! For every one clever or hot line he comes up with he comes up with 50 completely useless garbage lines...but I don't blame it on him...I blame it on the lean. That **** will get you saying all types of dumb stuff I'm sure.

The thing that gets to me is when he tries to use big words and just completely messes it up...but ignorant ass people don't know the difference and are just like "yeahhh that was hot!" C'mon yall...I gotta have some substance man. Common (mostly old school), Lupe, Joe Budden, Joell Ortiz, Biggie, Pun, Big L, Dead Prez, Immortal Technique....I mean the only reason that Wayne is huge is cause of marketing...and marketing means that white people like him...once u cross over to that audience is when you take off. Any clown can get famous in rap i.e. Soulja Boy (or as the commerical on MTVJams calls him "the biggest new artist the world has ever seen")

18. flaahless

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What about Carter 2? Or Carter 1? Or Da drought 3 (ALL FIRE) and 4? Or the Can't feel my face stuff with Juelz? Come on now... listen to Wayne before judging him. Hell, his Squad up stuff was fire too.

Also, mind you, Carter 3 was leaked so he had to create a new album. If you don't like his new stuff, he got plenty of heaters to suit your listening pleasure

19. Character

5+ Year Member

ive listened to everything waynes put out since he was a hotboy.

#18 Character, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  20. What up doc

What up doc FLASH
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    okay, so i first read this and was like, this makes no f'ing sense. but then i was like this is what every single girl says...lil' wayne is sexy. the ***** is ugly as ****! but all these girls wanna bone him. i guess an analogous situation would be those butta-head joints off Nelly's tip drill video..everything look good, butta head. :rolleyes:

first off, that line is kinda hot, ha, if anything its creative. and its lil' waynes unique and authentic style...but then, you would quote one of his weaker lines, he cant be fire EVERY time...

self-aggrandizement with shameless panache -
    "the only time i will depend is when i'm seventy years old//
    thats when i cant hold my **** within, so I **** on myself//
    cuz im so sick and tired of ****tin on everybody else"

for the ladies:

"red lobster everynight shrimp heads and tails//
    and bad b*tches gimme head and tail//"

tounge in cheek:

weezy f baby, tha mothaf*ckin carter//
    b*tches on my stick but my name aint harry potter//
    they think im very hotter//
    ya girl say the same//
    and since we like to travel she let us run a train//
    and my defense put me in the hall of fame//
    i make her turn over everytime we play game//
    my boy wayne, ask them *****s how i came in a ferrari//
    jaguar switchin both lanes//

and then jus beastin:

"mic check 1 2 on the way to 3rd, flow sik put a straight jacket on my words, so sik they think that somethings in the air, they think im gone but im fine like a womens curves, my personality is far from ur reality, im closer to ur gurl now cmon ho dont embaress me, there is no comparissing this right here be kerosine kerosile parasal im higher then everything, what ice bit u cant drink it like ur 17,i can show a million pair of eyes what theyve never seen, and i can do this in what ever the weather brings,pacaso couldnt paint a better scene, colaso now give me the mic and rock like a ****ing fossil, im mad at the track and i beat it like heather clamacho, was poppin what it do whats happenin whats crackin k pasa the hospital me casa so casa... im raw..."

like cmon ppl, even in comparison to biggie, pac and pun, who really has had this much transparency in his career? we see EVERYTHING weezy does...his good AND his bad, and worse yet, his terrible (think 90% of anything he does with autotune)...if we could hear all the ish biggie and pun and even jigga do in the booth when they are just messin around im sure we would hear some of the garbage rap they spit out too...lil has sooooooo much stuff out, and a lot of it is trash, judicious use of his creative license..but there are some really quality, lyrically brilliant and swagger filled songs that this guy produces, all on hot ass beats...

to be sure, i was once myself a huge lil' wayne hater...i mean i am very critical of a rappers lyrical ability, my favorite rapper lyrically for instance is Canibus (look him up on youtube if u dont know, hes a monster)...i thot nething (and for the most part still think) anything pre-carter series was TRASH...then in 05 my friend put me on the carter 2, to be honest i was incredulous...but then i started listening carefully and i was hooked...the song that really wetted my appetite was "the mobb"..FIRE...after that i started listening to any and everything weezy...i realized how rediculously slept on "the carter" was....and i dl'ed everything from the prefix, suffix mixtape series to Drought is over series...and regardless of what anybody says, wayne is a creative genius.

slept on. hes a monster. but he sounds too much liek fat joe for my taste. and see he is kinda like jada in that his lyrics are vicious but his lack of charisma and flexibility causes him to lose his appeal, or any chance at cracking the mainstream glass wall.

21. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ok guys, lets keep this thread on track. We had some pretty good advice that was being dished our here.

Favour517 likes this.
  22. ChemEngMD

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    #1) For the record, Pun was one of the first dudes out to really jump on every track he could. He had MADD guest appearances...and every time he slaughtered the track.

#2) I'm not denying the fact that occasionally he has a hot song or incredibly clever line, but it's the fact that most of his lines are mediocre. Go look at any punch in "A Milli" and they are just way too simple. Me and some of my dudes used to be heavy into making our own music from ages 16-19 (some of them are still at it) and I PROMISE you that 60-80% of Lil Wayne's lines are punches that me or one of my boy's thought of a long time ago...I just don't see the creativity in it. It's gotta be more complex. A good punchline to me is one that I hear 10 times before I finally get it...or one that makes me go "WOOOOOH" when I hear it lol. I don't get that with Wayne.

#3) Wayne is a drug addict...not a creative genius lol From somebody who is a Canibus fan, I expect more :laugh:. Canibus's first few albums were ridiculous and creative...punches that just destroyed...multis for days. Son was nice...but more or less fell off.

#4) Joell is a beast, but your right as far as him not being able to crack the mainstream. How is he like Fat Joe tho? Cause he's fat and Puerto Rican? :laugh: Fat Joe WISHES he had half the skill Ortiz does.

#5) If you haven't listened to Joe Budden in the last 5 years I highly advise it. Mood Muzik 1, 2, 3, & 3.5 were all fire. So is the newest mixtape "Halfway House". For example:

When did rappers start acting this fly?
    Say you're top 5, they'll grab it and ride,
    But I'm humble!
    So even though "I Am Legend", I can say Will Smith's the best rapper alive
    When they tell you that you're doing ya thing
    They taking your tampon out--"pulling your string"
    How the f*ck you a thug when you stay shook n*gga?
    You more like a school boy, a "Facebook n*gga"
    I'm just starving, this can't be greed,
    I'm not a drug lord, don't nobody hand me keys
    Gotta drop a few branches off my family tree
    Raised my sons all wrong, yes i'm "Andy Reid", it's me
    I can't put the jewels on without no chrome
    I can't rock these "Ice Creams" without the "Cold Stones"
    Im so focused, get on some long nose ****
    And I'll have the goons surround you on some "Bose" ****
    The more I get into, streets or instrumentals
    Bum ass n*ggas remind me of "Mr. Wendal"
    Me, on the horizon, I've been, trying to bring pies in
    More dudes than "Verizon" behind 'em
    Bunch of generals behind me, I'm the crew chief
    Busting off my Ricky Davis, that's the new "Heat"
    I've come clean about me and it's a damn shame
    Only "Religions" I'm into is a brand name

...'nuff said lol

23. ChemEngMD

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student

Sorry, just had to get that out there. :laugh: I think the point is that white people love Lil' Wayne...and that's common ground for a lot of people. I think the key to fitting in a school like that is to look for common ground and common interests...I mean you are all in med school so you must have something in common.

But I would advise you to be prepared for ignorance and to take everything with a grain of salt. People will say the dumbest things to you and not even know it because they have never been around people of other ethnicities. The questions that white people have asked me are seriously some of the funniest and most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Hopefully considering these are more educated med students they'll be okay...but I'm sure a lot of their surburban sheltered lives will come out occasionally...if not with the help of a few drinks lol.

24. flaahless

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ohhh Buddens is BEAST! The MOST underrespected rapper in the game. I quoted him in my Personal Statement intro paragraph 3rd sentence.

I agree with wuttup doc though... Wayne has a LOT of garbage, but his brilliant stuff is TRULY brilliant.

And I've been recording tracks since I was 15. And let me tell you, there are VERY few truly original lines out. There is a lot of punchline redundancy, and in fact, the only cats that aren't redundant with their lines are stuck in the battle circuit (ie: Loaded Lux) for good reason might I add because punchlines only go so far, it takes a lot more to make a song. That's why Joell Ortiz will always be a mixtape king. Same for Cassidy and whoever else has hot lines but wack tracks.

Wayne (pre-autotune) had great lines, great flow, fresh concepts, raw skill, originality and crazy swagger. Wayne (pre-autotune) didn't sound like anyone else. Most of the cats out now are a dime a dozen.

Listen to his stuff with Juelz. Or his stuff with squad up. Take it back even further and listen to what he did over the Renegade beat. He ate it better than Jay and came pretty close to Em.

And that's my last post about music Jay. Don't close the thread. I'll stay on topic

25. scarterinscrubs

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I hate to continue this secondary topic, but Wayne is garbage. Punchlines are easy and many punchline artists never become successful. Wayne did through great marketing.
    Flaahless, if you know anyone that need beats hit me up.

26. WolverineDoc13

WolverineDoc13 Good Times in the Midwest
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know this response is a tad late (I just joined a few days ago), but I experienced a rough transition from a very diverse high school to a predominately white undergrad. One thing that roughened the transition was the stereotype threat, which often occurs to minorities and women in math and science fields. I literally believed that I was programed to fail in my science classes because black males "aren't supposed to succeed," so I stressed myself out by overcompensating. What a load of bull. I eventually overcame the need to prove myself and became my own man.

You can read more about stereotype threat here its very interesting. I wish I had known about this before starting undergrad.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype_threat

One thing I also used to get me through undergrad was a strong social support network. For me, it was my group of high-school buddies (who were also mixed). We spent much time ranting about race issues, which made us feel better. Even if your class is mostly white, you can still find a good number of others who relate to you in that respect. Good luck!

27. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

LOL I thought you were talking about Oberlin College in MAINE. Like going from one extreme to another :p

28. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I hate Joe Buddens. And Lil Wayne is amusing because he is so ridiculous, but he is neither cute nor sexy and I most definitely do not want to bone him.

To the OP: I think it's good to step outside your comfort zone. It's something you'll have to deal with a lot in your adult life, and now is as good a time as any to start. You might as well do it now before you get to the workplace.

29. ProLogic

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    lol, same. I remember being the only Mexican kid in a lot of my classes. My advice is to just act how you normally would. No one likes a faker.

30. ChemEngMD

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Um I live in Maine and have never heard of Oberlin College? lol I go to UMaine and I'm one of very few minorities here.

Why would you hate Budden? Man is a genius...c'mon yo

31. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    And by Oberlin I meant Bowdoin. Why do those names sound similar in my head.

As for Joe Budden, I don't know how many of his songs I've heard, but every one that I have heard has irritated me.

32. missdentista

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What about the other way around? I'm planning on attending an HBCU dental school (there's only 2), but I'm a little nervous. Whether people want to admit it or not acceptance into a community isn't always guaranteed just because we all have the same skin tone. I've always gone to a majority school. I want to make a smooth transition, but I don't really know how. When I went to visit the school a lot of people stared at me because of the way I talked (I'm from Arkansas), and it really started to get on my nerves. It's always been my dream to attend Howard Dental, but I don't know if I can take it. Any advice?

Oh, and as for the musical theme... I find Lil' Wayne slightly scary and slightly annoying. He's like a grimlin with respiratory problems. Plus, one of my friends refused to dance with him at a party once, and he was super rude. He kept asking if she knew who he was, like that meant something. I've never heard of the rest of those guys though, so no comment.

Also in answer to the originals posters answer, music does an excellent job in helping one feel connected to their culture when the physical connection is absent.

#31 missdentista, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  33. Dr Lyss

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would give the same advice. Be yourself & eventually will find a connection with some people.

34. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    LOVE it! That's a great description of him. :lol:

35. sidalexis

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I can say for certain that you will not have an issue at Howard's dental school. In the years that I've been there it has gone from relatively diverse to extremely diverse. Honestly, looking at the make-up of the population you wouldn't know that it was an HBCU. You'll find a similar situation in the surrounding community, although the medical school more resembles an HBCU. As far as the OP, I have a similar concern. I went to a mostly black high school, a majority undergraduate school, and Howard grad school. I'm not sure about making the transition back to a majority institution, especially with the stresses that come with medical school. I have made it a point to seek out minority students and minority support staff at the institutions I'm considering. It's important to me to have that network.

36. LadyMD2b

LadyMD2b ... moment of silence
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think that you should try to look at it as good practice for the future. As a physician, you will be working in a predominantly white profession, so I think it's best to get used to it now. I know how you feel though. During my elementary years, I went to an all black school, and when I transferred to an all white school in the 6th grade, I was terrified. Now it's quite the opposite. I've been forced to attend white schools for so long that I am often uncomfortable in all black environments...Lol. Go figure :shrug:

37. SlickNickMD

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've lived/been to school in many different environments that range from diverse (middle school-9th grade) to me being one of only 3 black students out of 400 or so seniors (11th to 12th). I would not have it any other way. Having lived in such different environments, I have developed the ability to adapt to almost any social situation and relate to most people. When I got to college I was able to make friends in just about every racial/cultural and socio-economic group. It would not and should not really matter where I go to med school but i would like to focus my services on the low socioeconomic demographic.:thumbup:

38. SlickNickMD

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1. White people love rap music/hip hop in general. They are the majority and the biggest consumers of rap music in this country.

2. Black people love lil wayne just as much as white people

3. Lil wayne is by no means the greatest poet of our generation....I think a good 55-65 percent of what he puts out is trash but he has his moments.

When lil wayne is at his best I think he's genius.

We taking over remix on drought 3 is one of the best rap verses I've ever heard.

[email protected] the "So high I could eat a star" line....there's a video of Gillie Da Kid calling him out for how pedestrian that line is.:laugh:

[​IMG] So high I could eat a star.....really lil wayne???

39. J U I C Y

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was sooooooo worried about this. I graduated from a small HBCU and while it took me some time to adjust to that as well, I loooooved it when I graduated. Now I'm at a fairly diverse, prestigious, majority medical school in the predominately black city, and its been interesting.

I would advise someone to go into it as an adventure. That's what I did. There are so many things to adjust to, both big and small. When I first started med school, I went to my first umm... majority-oriented party. I had never seen a keg stand before, never participated in... I forget what they're called... but its when people race to see who can drink beer the fastest? I had never even DRANK beer before (beer is virtually absent at most HBCU parties, but puttle a bottle of Smirnoff on the table and watch that joint disappear). Never mind the complete absence of black faculty (I really enjoyed having black teachers in undergrad, MOST of whom were Ph.D.s and excellent educators... even thought there were a few bootleg ones sprinkled throughout), the constant assumptions that both my majority AND black classmates made about me due to my skin color and the fact that I went to a black school, as well as the workload and just the complete change of culture.

You may find that you'll sometimes feel that your perspective or contribution the class as a whole is diminished or undervalued. Don't let that happen. Run for leadership positions, participate in class discussions, reach out and talk to some of your other classmates who are not black. You're going to live in a majority world, and you'll have to learn how to work with, and lead other people at some point, so why not now?

That being said, keep in mind that, people will also have to learn to work with you. I really believe that it is time for minorities focus less on assimilation and more on making a place where they feel at home (not separated or alienated) in academia.

Just my 2 cents!

ETA: And lil' wayne is da bomb... like tick-tick....

40. DrViolin

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

From K-12th grade, I went to predominately white schools. Of course there were always asians and hispanics, but the blacks were always out numbered. For college I went to an HBCU which was great! But now that I'm in med school, I am one of 3 black guys in my class and there are no black females. Like Doctajay said, I had to realize that I didn't have to be friends with EVRYONE. I have a good group of friends and for those that I'm not 'buddy buddy with', we are still cordial with each other. Being the token black guy in my small groups is definitely an interesting experience. The first few weeks of school was spent walking around with ppl just looking with the expression 'Are you serious!?' I found it quite humerous.

As J U I C Y said, my suggestions, comments, and overall contribution is over looked. Even when studying another student who I know has lower grades than me, they would rather listen to another white guy than take my equally qualified advice.

In the movie 'I Love My Wife', Chris Rock (name Richard in the movie) says "I work as an investment banker at aplace called "The Gotham Asset Company." I'm one of the only blacks at the firm. As a matter of fact, there are sofew here that I think I know everyblack person in the building."

That's exactly how it feels, I walk through the halls at school and I know almost every black person on a first name basis. I know that at school I will always be at a loss for those vibes i get from my brothas and sisters, so every weekend, I make sure I'm in church making connections. That's just one of the many ways to start becoming confortable with your surroundings.

At the end of the day, people will be people.

41. crx7

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just spent 6 months doing research in a small East Texas town. Though I ran into more rednecks in those 6 months than in my entire life, it wasn't all bad. In an educational setting there are always enough educated, socialized people to make up for the others. For me, I just had to make sure and speak up every time someone said something bigoted or racist, which did happen a lot. You don't get used to it, but you learn how to deal with it. BTW, I've chosen a very diverse medical school which is away from my fiancee, over a school we could have gone to together in the middle of East Texas.

42. motorcycleguy

motorcycleguy is not worried
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't concentrate on race. I see everyone as just normal people. It's easy to fit in, but that shouldn't really be your goal. Be yourself. Some people will like you and some people won't, but it won't be as difficult as you make it out to be.

As for rappers... Lil wayne used to be "ok." His lyrics were entertaining. Now, most of his stuff is crap. I like lupe much better.

Example: http://bsoul.tv/Video/default.aspx?bcmediaid=bfd243fc-4981-4234-9c2e-0ba1d347cf5d

And I'm brainless
    Which means I'm headless
    Like Ichabod Crane is
    Or foreplay-less sex is
    Which makes me stainless
    With no neck left to hang the chain with
    Which makes me necklace-less
    Like a necklace theft
    And I ain't used my headrest yet
    They said they need proof like a vestless chest 'bout the best, fair F-F-jet in the nest
    Who exudes confidence and excess depth
    Even Scuba Steve would find it hard to breathe
    Around these leagues
    My snorkle is a tuba, Lu the ruler around these seas
    Westside Poseidon, Westside beside'em, chest high and rising
    Almost touching the knees of stewardess and the pilot
    Lucky they make you flowered
    Personal floating devices, tricks falling out of my sleeves
    David Blaine
    Make it rain
    You Make a boat
    I make a plane
    Then, I pull the plug and I make it drain
    Until I feel like flowing and filling it up again..(Westside)

43. MsKrispyKreme

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There are definite cultural differences, and I think it's naive to believe otherwise.

Many of our future classmates will automatically assume that we are not intelligent and not worthy of our spot simply based on the color of our skin & the crap they read on SDN (or heard from one of their pre-med friends). Be prepared for their behavior, and brush it off. Don't respond to the subtle negativity (e.g. "Sooo...what kind of SCHOLARSHIPS did you get to go here?") They'll come around towards the end of the 1st semester. :laugh:

I have friends who've gone to PWIs for med school, and they were treated pretty bad initially (e.g. not invited to any study/lab groups). Eventually, their classmates came around.

44. motorcycleguy

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When i was in high school AP Psych I remember learning about the term "self fulfilling prohpecy." Your perception of the situation has much to do with how the situation pans out. If you go into the situation thinking that you're different, that everyone thinks you're inferior, then of course you're going to be treated differently/inferiorly.
    Dude, I live in boca. A good chunk of the student body come from affluent white backgrounds. I drive to school in a 14 year old Nissan:laugh:. It would be easy to believe that I wouldn't fit in. I act like a normal human being, and I'm ok. I'm not exactly wanting for friends. Yes, most of my friends end up being white, but that's not something I think matters very much.

I think a major flaw in the black community, is the belief that we are so different from everyone else. We handicap ourselves most of the time. There still is racism in this country, but believe me, everyone is not out to get you.

45. MsKrispyKreme

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow, you aren't this guy are you? :laugh:

[​IMG]

Self-fufilling prophecies usually impair one's own performance, not his/her interactions with others. Did I say that everyone is out to get me? Did I even mention racism? :confused:

No, I simply stated that (especially for those who have gone to HBCUs) there will be definite cultural differences so be prepared and due to the way URM applicants are perceived, negative attitudes may spill into classmate interactions. (Have you read the URM posts on SDN & on MDApps?) I also stated that those issues, however, will likely resolve towards the end of the first semester.

I've gone to PWIs my entire life (as have my African American doctor/med school friends), and I have a mix of White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian friends. There are definite cultural differences between us that we all celebrate rather than trying to "conform/assimilate/soft-shoe" around each other.

46. motorcycleguy

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes you did. Specifically when you wrote:
    Sorry, but you don't have to say the word "racism" to mention racism.
    It's funny that you prejudge them since you seem to be against them prejudging you.

Not exactly. It's a reciprical relationship. You think an event is going to take place so you act accordingly. Your actions are going to have an effect on the people that are around you. This effect is different than if you didn't believe the event was going to take place in the first place.

Let me make the example more specific. You believe that many of your classmates think you're inferior because you're an URM. So when you interact with them you do so watching for signs of discrimination. You may view some of their actions as prejudiced even if they aren't. Therefore you distance yourself from them. In response to your action, they may decide that they really don't like you that much (unrelated to the color of your skin). So the end result is the same. A group of people don't like you.:(

Are you my friend on facebook? How did you get that pic of me?:eek: lol

47. titanjones

titanjones dat baby dont look likeme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    my only advice...suck it up. This is the face of the professional world if you choose to enter it. Either buck up, or buck out. :D

48. Dr Frankenstein

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Rule number (1) You never give a DAM about anyone else, we have been minorities since our mommas spat us out. Deal with it, work around it, use it to your advantage, and MOVE ON.

Rule number (2) we are minorities for a reason and that is because we are the MINORITY of the population. If by this age, at least 21-25, you have not realized it than REALIZE IT.

Rule number (3) go to med school work your BUTT off and who GIVES A DAM about race holy **** guys its 2009 and poeple still care. I dont get it theres bigger reasons to be worried about or bigger crisis to be crying about...!!!! Sorry for the rage....have a good day

49. FSAP

FSAP Foreigner
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I went to a proud institution of higher learning that had a tacos and tequilas and bros and hoes parties while I was there and our "mascot" was the Chief. It feels like any med school I go to is gonna be more minority friendly than that.