worried about orgo grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enfuego

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Orgo 1 last semester and got a B. Okay considering how hard the professor was. I probably could have done better, but there was another class I was struggling in that took up a lot of my time.

I have the same professor this semester for Orgo 2, and I'm afraid I might end up with a B- this semester. I work hard and go to every lecture and to office hours and do every practice problem multiple times, but I just don't understand some of this stuff. It does not come natural to me, and on top of it, my professor really likes to ask tricky questions on the tests.

First, will it look bad to do worse in Orgo 2 than in Orgo 1?

I'm especially worried because I took a W in a science course last semester (cell bio - it wasn't because I didn't understand the material), and I really needed to show I can handle science classes, but Orgo doesn't come naturally to me. I'm taking systems phys and have an A- or A in that class right now, so I'm fine in biology. I got A's in Gen Chem too. Just ORGO, blerg.

Second, I think a B- would bring me down from the 3.5 range into the 3.4 range. I did really awesome my sophomore year - My GPA was a 3.8 something for that year. This year has not been going as well since I've been taking more upper level classes both in science and non-science subjects and have had heavier courseloads while also increasing my ECs. My GPA has been in the 3.5 range for the past 3-4 semester. Right now my overall GPA is 3.54 and Sci GPA is 3.50. If my GPAs slip into the 3.4 range by the time I apply in May 2010, how bad would that be? How bad would a slight downward trend look?

I know a B- isn't the end of the world, but it's getting harder and harder to get into dental school every year, so I'm just getting anxious, especially after seeing all the high GPAs on here and on predents.com

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think a 3.4gpa is that bad at all. As long as you have a solid DAT score then I think you'll be fine. You'll most likeyl have to explain to the ADCOM about your W.

I feel like I'm in the same boat as you because I did really well during my freshman and sophomore year. My Junior year I took a lot of upper-level courses in the same semester and it was really tough on me. I wish I could have gotten a B in Orgo I but I ended up with a C. I personally think that Orgo II is much easier (I'm taking it now) since I was already exposed to the main concepts from Orgo I.

I'm pretty sure you'll do just as well or even better in Orgo II. Good Luck!

I agree, I hope I should be okay if I do well on the Orgo section of the DAT. I'll be taking that this summer, and I'll have about 3 months to study (while also doing research and shadowing), so hopefully I'll do okay on that. What score do you think I should aim for? 20 is probably the minimum...

My W in cell bio was because the professors were trying a new testing method. It was all open book tests, and the obviously had to change the style of the questions. I knew all the materials - both my TF and my professor said they knew I had good study habits and that I did know the information. I just didn't get the strategy of answering the weird style of questions they had, so I took a W instead of a C. Everyone did terribly in that class, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you'll do well on the DAT. 20 should be the minimum on TS, but try to aim for ~22. I'm taking the DAT this summer on June 8th. I'm taking micrbio over the summer and I'm studying the DAT for a month. I'm still thinking if I should take microbio but I want to make sure I get all my credits done to graduate in 2010.

I am in a similar situation. I was planning on sending my AADSAS app in for the 2010 cycle this coming June 1st. However, I just received my orgo II grade which came out to be a "D". I know I have to retake it, but would this hurt my chances of being picked for an interview even if I plan to retake it in the next year? Should I wait and apply next year?

My overall gpa is currently a 3.76 and my science gpa without math is 3.27 and my science with math gpa is a 3.34. My major is bio with chem and engineering as minors. I have not taken the DATs yet but plan to take them in June.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I took Orgo 1 last semester and got a B. Okay considering how hard the professor was. I probably could have done better, but there was another class I was struggling in that took up a lot of my time.

I have the same professor this semester for Orgo 2, and I'm afraid I might end up with a B- this semester. I work hard and go to every lecture and to office hours and do every practice problem multiple times, but I just don't understand some of this stuff. It does not come natural to me, and on top of it, my professor really likes to ask tricky questions on the tests.

First, will it look bad to do worse in Orgo 2 than in Orgo 1?

I'm especially worried because I took a W in a science course last semester (cell bio - it wasn't because I didn't understand the material), and I really needed to show I can handle science classes, but Orgo doesn't come naturally to me. I'm taking systems phys and have an A- or A in that class right now, so I'm fine in biology. I got A's in Gen Chem too. Just ORGO, blerg.

Second, I think a B- would bring me down from the 3.5 range into the 3.4 range. I did really awesome my sophomore year - My GPA was a 3.8 something for that year. This year has not been going as well since I've been taking more upper level classes both in science and non-science subjects and have had heavier courseloads while also increasing my ECs. My GPA has been in the 3.5 range for the past 3-4 semester. Right now my overall GPA is 3.54 and Sci GPA is 3.50. If my GPAs slip into the 3.4 range by the time I apply in May 2010, how bad would that be? How bad would a slight downward trend look?

I know a B- isn't the end of the world, but it's getting harder and harder to get into dental school every year, so I'm just getting anxious, especially after seeing all the high GPAs on here and on predents.com

Lay off the excuses, it is a bad habit.

Do not let it drop, this is something that you're in control of. Have some other parts of your application stand out if you're this worried.

I retook orgo1 becuz I got B-. I got A and then A for Orgo2.