Worried Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Im a Canadian applicant looking to apply for September 2011.

I had a rough first year in university so some of my pre-requisite courses are at a grade lower than a C on the Canadian scale...what % would a C be on the U.S. scale??

Also, on a lot of the optometry school websites I noticed that all the schools I've looked at want you to have at least a C in all pre-requisite courses, are there any schools that dont have this obligation? And do you think if i were to apply with a few grades not meeting this i would still have a chance??

Sorry for the long post but im really concerned! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh boy. I noticed your status is pre-dental, so let me be the first (others will chime in soon) to implore you not to decide on applying to Optometry school as a "medical-ish" back-up plan in case you can't get into Dental school. Not that there is anything wrong with considering both professions, but please, please make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

That being said, no schools allow for prerequisites with grades less than a C. Each school will vary on whether they will consider a C-. You may want to consider this thread:

anyone get in with less than a C for prerequisites?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=698269

As for the Canadian %/GPA conversion, I can't say. I think this also varies with each school, so your best bet is to call around. If you want a general estimate, I found the following table in the Canada forums:

http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

If you have a nice upward trend in your grades, a low GPA will not be as detrimental over-all. Many people mess up their first few years of college.

Even going to a school from Canada, No. it will be very difficult to get accepted. Just retake the classes. Trust me. It will pay off if u do it that way.

GPA is very important for any professional school. Get to work if this is what you really want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the classes. If you can't get a C in pre-reqs, admissions isn't going to think you can handle optometry school. That's why the requirement is there.

Thanks everyone for the replies, im kinda confused and just trying to figure out what i want to do. im gonna have to look into it more and figure out whats best for me. on a side note im just wondering, is a a 60-61ish a C-??