Worried! Need Words of Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MyFutureBH

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a Senior and will be graduating in May with a Degree in Health Science.

My Undergraduate GPA should range from 3.0-3.18.

My issue is that my pre-reqs grades are not that great! I have a number of C's around 4-5 but I plan on taking a few of them over to get better grades!

I'm definitely afraid that they will judge the fact that I didn't do so great in the classes the first time around and that it will indeed hurt my chances! Below is what my Extracurricular/Volunteering experience.

Extracurricular Activities: New Student Orientations Leader, Medical Proffesions club, Encompass Home Health Internship, Feed the Homeless Cordinator, Community Service Commitee, Co-Captain of Relay for Life team, Microbiology Lab Assistant.

Volunteer: Home Health PT, Outpatient PT, Inpatient Neurology PT.

**Can you please give me some helpful feed back on this post!! I would definitely appreciate it**
 
It depends on how the program calculates GPAs. Some will take the average of repeated classes. Some will take the highest grade. I would go 'prerequisite shopping' and determine which programs you'll be able to get into without taking extra classes e.g. an extra math or an oral communications course. Then narrow it down based on min. & average GPA and how they calculate repeat classes. It just takes time & research. I copied the PTCAS list into an excel doc. and basically just started deleting programs based on my own criteria.
 
I'm currently a Senior and will be graduating in May with a Degree in Health Science.

My Undergraduate GPA should range from 3.0-3.18.

My issue is that my pre-reqs grades are not that great! I have a number of C's around 4-5 but I plan on taking a few of them over to get better grades!

I'm definitely afraid that they will judge the fact that I didn't do so great in the classes the first time around and that it will indeed hurt my chances! Below is what my Extracurricular/Volunteering experience.

Extracurricular Activities: New Student Orientations Leader, Medical Proffesions club, Encompass Home Health Internship, Feed the Homeless Cordinator, Community Service Commitee, Co-Captain of Relay for Life team, Microbiology Lab Assistant.

Volunteer: Home Health PT, Outpatient PT, Inpatient Neurology PT.

**Can you please give me some helpful feed back on this post!! I would definitely appreciate it**

Check out my stats in my signature. You'll be fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Check out my stats in my signature. You'll be fine.
Well not to be misleading, but not every school is going to accept him. The schools with lower GPA requirements tend to accept lower GPAs.

To the OP, my advice is to do 2 things:
Retake some courses, especially prereqs.
Research which programs are most likely going to accept you, and at the very least have those schools be a backup to your other choices.
 
Check out my stats in my signature. You'll be fine.

I agree with Neophyte. Plus you dont know how the OP will interview or how well they will write their Personal Statement. You might have knocked those out of the park, but the OP might not. So, yeh I agree with what Neophyte said.
 
It would be in your best interest to do your best in your last semester and to try and retake a couple of courses. Settling is fine, but you want to give yourself the best opportunity possible and there are quite a few schools that look at the highest repeated grade or average the two. Do some research on prospective schools on PTCAS, form a list of a few schools you would like to go to and start tailoring your plan to get accepted there! Good luck.
 
I agree with Neophyte. Riz could be a special case, and while there are many pple on this forum who have low GPAs/GRE scores that got into a program, do your research and see what each program requires and what your chances are for admission. Start with the PTCAS website directory, which has all of hte PTCAS program requirements.

If you are smart about the programs that you apply to and finish strong in your last semester, you should ahve a good shot. Remember, you won't be able to bring your overall/pre-req GPA up to 4.0 in one semester, but if you do your best and pull up your GPA and write a strong PS, do well on the GRE (aim for well above the 1000, I would say a 1100-1200+ could really help you), and get strong LORs, then you have a good chance of getting in somewhere. Focus on your last semester and put together a strong application.

Best of luck
 
Hey thanks you really just gave me some hope!! RizDPT when did you start PT school and do you know of any other school in the country that has low GPA requirements?
 
Hey thanks you really just gave me some hope!! RizDPT when did you start PT school and do you know of any other school in the country that has low GPA requirements?

I didn't start yet. Just got accepted this past October. It would be wise of you to apply to the two schools which I've been admitted. As other have pointed out on this thread, I did knock my personal statement and Letter's of Recommendation out of the park, but traditionally the two schools I got into will accepted those with lower stats provided that you are well-rounded (volunteer hrs, extracurricular activities etc.) Good luck!
 
I didn't start yet. Just got accepted this past October. It would be wise of you to apply to the two schools which I've been admitted. As other have pointed out on this thread, I did knock my personal statement and Letter's of Recommendation out of the park, but traditionally the two schools I got into will accepted those with lower stats provided that you are well-rounded (volunteer hrs, extracurricular activities etc.) Good luck!

Oh ok I see ! I'm going to PM you to get some more information from you if you don't mind!