1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Worried???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ZekeMD, Apr 12, 2004.

1. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ok, so I was working in the lab making destain and happened to spill a bit of methanol down my arm. I washed it off with soap and water...no problem right? Well, now I'm worrying a bit. The MSDS said it is readily absorbed through the skin. Should I be worried??? :scared:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dsblaha

dsblaha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't worry.

I've worked in the lab in the last 3 years, and I spary etoh on everything. It gets all over the place. Besides, if you can drink it, i'm sure a little on your skin isn't too bad. I've had so much stuff spilled on me and I haven't had any problems.

We could make this a thread about lab accidents!

One time I was running a prep FPLC and I was running 3M NaOH to sterilize the resin. For some reason the pressure was building even though one end was open, and the top of the column popped off and I got 3M NaOH all over my face. Luckily I was wearing goggles and a lab coat, still it burned like hell!

4. W222

W222 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Its methanol, are you kidding. Its nothing, it wont do sh#t to you. Unless you drink it or sit in a bath of it. Also, think- any alcohol is readily absorbed through skin. They are also great solvents.

5. Ragzpie

Ragzpie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is it just methanol? If so, you'll be fine. I use methanol to clean all our HPLC stuff and cell culture stuff. I have frequently spilled it on myself. I'm still breathing.

Wait....Yep, still breathing.

6. coldchemist

coldchemist Biowulf
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    No worries, Zeke. I get methanol all over my hands and arms all the time. The stuff is so volatile that most of it just evaporates before it has a chance to absorb. I'm sure you've heard that a really small amount can cause you to go blind, and just a little bit more will kill you. Well, that's true, but you'd really have to drink it for anything serious to happen.

7. dsblaha

dsblaha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I read ethanol instead of methanol, Don't drink methanol.

8. cornell2004

cornell2004 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

you're not blind yet, so you should be fine

9. thewebthsp

thewebthsp Shoobeedoowap
    10+ Year Member

Just don't spill poison laced DMSO on yourself! :)

I've spilled MeOH on myself several times too, and my vision seems ok. I think. :eek:

10. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  11. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ok, I guess I overreacted. Its just the thought of going blind scared the bejesus outta me! Can you imagine that? You can kiss med school goodbye.

12. Olanzapine

Olanzapine Membership Revoked
    Removed

Well, I don't mean to alarm you or anything, but there have been case reports of methanol toxicity secondary to dermal contact. If you start to experience any sx of methanol toxicity (you can look them up on the web), I'd go to the ER right away. I think that you should be fine though, especially if you washed the area off right away and it was just a bit.

13. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    ehhhh crap, now I'm starting to worry again. Maybe I'll just go get drunk! etOH must slow the effects of meOH...right???

14. duncanfj

duncanfj Member
    7+ Year Member

Zeke, don't worry. That little bit of methanol is not going to hurt you. There was a researcher with a serious drinking problem that found ethanol just didn't quite do it for him anymore, so he switched over to methanol. Drank it for quite some time before it killed him. Just don't shower with the stuff. I've spilled DMF on my hands a number of times, and I have notruyble tryping.

15. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My dad said some guy in his lab died from spilling phenol on himself! Isn't that crazy?

Yeah I know that's different from Methanol but this thread just reminded me off that.

16. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    methanol probably evaporates faster than it absorbes through skin. Didn't it feel really cold?

17. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yeah it was cold. Ehhh doesnt matter, it gives me an excuse to drink :laugh:

18. Rose122

Rose122 Member
    7+ Year Member

If you're reading this you're probably fine. However, if you ever do it again I would suggest getting drunk as soon as possible. Hospital treatment is ethanol infusion since it is a competative inhibitor of MeOH. I've always wondered if you feel intoxicated when under this treatment or if they use such a low dose it's effects are negligable. Anyone know?

19. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My lab keeps Jaeger in the fridge just in case... A methanol spill becomes a multi-phylogenetic rave.

20. G0S2

G0S2 SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This just gives you an excuse to drink tonight.

21. celticmists18

celticmists18 california dreaming
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    methanol, ha! I stabbed myself with a syringe while working in the lab . . .thank god I did it BEFORE I had aspirated the chemotherapy drug I was working with!