Worse chance at acceptance if 2nd wave interview invite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perforin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that beggers can't be choosers, but does getting a 2nd wave interview invite mean you have a less chance of acceptance at that program than if you had a 1st wave interview invite?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think so, but if you're personable and really rock the interview I think you have a pretty good chance. Most programs don't interview all that many people and if it's some place you really want to go definitely make that known.

But I have no idea this is my first time going through this process as well

Doubt it matters. There are bound to be scheduling conflicts and adjustments. If you get to the interview stage, it is almost an even field (exception being some courtesy interviews). You will be ranked among the other interviewees for the day (no one will know you got the second batch of invites) - IMO. But, I've only served on one interview committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't take it personally. After calling a few schools, it sounds like a lot of selection committees got interrupted by the AAO meeting and only had time to send out a partial batch. AAO will be over Wednesday, so expect things to pick up.

Doubt it matters. There are bound to be scheduling conflicts and adjustments. If you get to the interview stage, it is almost an even field (exception being some courtesy interviews). You will be ranked among the other interviewees for the day (no one will know you got the second batch of invites) - IMO. But, I've only served on one interview committee.

This.