Worth applying this cycle or wait

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tealeafexplorer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ECs aren't amazing, but you have a great MCAT score. I think it'd be worth it to give it a shot. I assume you're from one of PNWU's preferred states?

I'd throw in the original RVU as well. Be sure to get a lor from either MD or DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am debating if applying this cycle would be worth it, or if i should wait, bolster up my app, and apply next cycle. If you were in my shoes, what would you do and why? All advice very welcome.

Graduated this spring.
3.2 cgpa
3.5 sgpa
511 MCAT
20 hours shadowing DO, 1 LOR (ongoing)
1 science LOR, 1 non-cience LOR (could potentially get more, but may bed a bad LOR)
20 hours volunteering hospital (ongoing)
300 hour volunteering food bank (ongoing)

Would really only prefer the DO schools on the west: PNWU, Western (both), Touro-CA, Both Arizona schools, RVU Utah.

If I apply this cycle I would only apply to those 7 schools, if i didnt get in i would apply to those same 7 schools and more next cycle. Or I can just wait, bolster up my app, take some CC classes to boost GPA, and apply to those 7 and many more next cycle. Any downside to applying now and potentially not getting in? Starting sooner than later would be preferable, however I know I have holes in my app. Possible to get accepted this cycle to one of those, or just wait till next cycle? What would you do and why?
Definitely pull the trigger, I'm betting you'll get quite a bit of love

67% of students come from their 5-state catchment area which you aren't a part of, so most people shy away from applying there. You could try it, but they definitely have an underserved area focus which California isn't exactly known for.