Worth applying to MD/PhD with these stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

britneytf00

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if you guys hate these posts. I'm a low-stats applicant looking for advice. Should I consider applying to MD/PhD or MSTP programs with these stats? Or should I save my money? Has anyone had any success with stats like mine? I am from CA, and I want to apply to schools in CA, NY, DC, MD rather than southern/midwest schools.

cGPA: 3.17
MCAT: 521
Research: ~2500 (~3500 after MS)
  • 3.5 years in undergrad lab
  • REU program through university
  • Research Grant Program through university
  • NIH Summer Research Internship (2019, 2020 Covid-cancelled, 2021)
  • Will continue research during Master's program with thesis option (in hindsight, should have applied to postbacc programs for GPA repair)
Posters, Publications, Abstracts, Presentations:
  • 2 posters/presentations from NIH summer research internship, 2 posters/presentations at BMES Annual Conference, 1 REU poster/presentation, 1 international conference presentation
  • 1 publication in progress from undergrad lab
Nonclinical Volunteering: ~150
  • English Tutor for Adult Learners focusing on healthcare literacy (making sure people know how to make appointments, check in to their doctor's office, etc)
Clinical Volunteer: ~100
  • Hospital Volunteer
  • Shadowing/Going on Hospital Rounds
*Low GPA was due to working ~35 hours/week to pay living expenses, a very ambitious class schedule (~18-20 credits/semester due to double major), and spending basically every other free hour in lab, rather than studying.
*I also have a very clear idea of how I want to integrate my research in a clinical setting.

If you had these stats, where would you apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Every year there are people in our (I'm in the same boat GPA wise) range and lower who get in, though it is VERY sparse. I'd personally do all you could to get in, but have a back-up plan. Mine is to reapply MD/PhD if/when I don't get in during MS1 (and MS2 if that doesn't pan out). If both of those don't work out, I will request a leave of absence and pursue a PhD on "my own time" (I've reached out to many med schools and only one so far has told me they wouldn't allow me to do this). If I happen to go to a school that won't allow the LoA, the PhD can also be attained through a PhD granting residency. If THAT doesn't pan out, might as well just do a research fellowship (and I guess you could do a PhD part-time if you still feel the need to do so... I've met physicians who did that and said it was nice having attending money while being a PhD student, haha).

Either way, you'd still be a physician-scientist and there are various paths... good luck! I hope everything works out!

As to where to apply, I'd contact schools directly that have the PhD portion you're interested in and see what their thoughts are.

Reactions: 1 user
PM me... You are a quality candidate for MD/PhD programs including MSTPs but you need to apply strategically. I am able to meet applicants and provide advice in one-to-one Zoom meetings until June 26, when AMCAS opens.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users