I've had three pre Dec and one post Dec interviews and have only been wait listed at one of the pre Dec schools and the post Dec school. I've also received one rejection without an interview. I have been getting kind of discouraged lately especially after my most recent wait list. I feel I am a fairly strong candidate with a 3.9 overall and science gpa and a 23/22/19 DAT., 200 hours research, and TAing/tutoring. I was wondering if there is any sense calling any of my schools, and if so what should I say? I feel like my interviews have gone well too so I would like to know what's keeping me from an acceptance.
-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Worth Calling Schools?
Started by jpdent1
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm not sure it would hurt... That's a tricky position to be in. If you were in somewhere already I would say for sure call the school you really want to go to, but not having any offers, I'm not sure how to play that. I think I would email them instead of calling them and just asking what is happening with your application. I don't think this would hurt you at all, but I don't know if it will really help either. Sorry I can't really help... Good luck!
I've had three pre Dec and one post Dec interviews and have only been wait listed at one of the pre Dec schools and the post Dec school. I've also received one rejection without an interview. I have been getting kind of discouraged lately especially after my most recent wait list. I feel I am a fairly strong candidate with a 3.9 overall and science gpa and a 23/22/19 DAT., 200 hours research, and TAing/tutoring. I was wondering if there is any sense calling any of my schools, and if so what should I say? I feel like my interviews have gone well too so I would like to know what's keeping me from an acceptance.
I would suggest writing the schools you're wait listed at and expressing your interest. I did that with my top choice which also put me on wait list. Your stats are strong, and wait listed means that you have a fairly good chance of getting accepted in the next cycle but you need to let them know you're interested. Don't be discouraged it is too early to be upset about the outcome this is only the beginning.
Waitlist.
Hey, despite Doctoothache, I would say contact your schools and express an interest. Several schools I interviewed with told me this was a good idea if we were waitlisted.
Sorry Doc, I appreciate and approve most of your advice just not this particular view.
Sorry Doc, I appreciate and approve most of your advice just not this particular view.
Hey, despite Doctoothache, I would say contact your schools and express an interest. Several schools I interviewed with told me this was a good idea if we were waitlisted. Sorry Doc, I appreciate and approve most of your advice just not this particular view.
The fact that one applied to a particular shows that there is some "interest" in the school. The time to express that feeling more strongly is during an interview and not after one has found out he/she has been waitlisted. The suggestion that somehow an applicant would become more appealing by calling to express an interest would be to suggest that the Dean of Admissions would decide to choose a lesser qualified applicant. That scenario seem unlikely to happen. Adcoms have been know to suggest during the conclusion of an interview that the applicant has been accepted, but something quite different appears to be have happened on Dec 1.