Worth Doing Pain rotation as student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrcmedman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a 4th year med student. I recently matched into neurology and I am somewhat interested in pain medicine.

My final rotations run all the way into the end of May, and I debating whether it would be a good idea to do a pain management rotation in that month? I mean I would like to definitely do it but the only thing holding me back is the schedule (7-4 everyday).

I know that I may sound lazy given that 7-4 is not that bad, but I kind of wanted a more chill rotation my last month. Residency orientation will probably start the last week of June and I just wanted some down time. On the other hand, the rotation would be a way to get decent exposure to the field and possibly pursue electives in pain during residency if I do end up liking it. Just trying to figure out what would be the best way to proceed in my situation....

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi I'm a 4th year med student. I recently matched into neurology and I am somewhat interested in pain medicine.

My final rotations run all the way into the end of May, and I debating whether it would be a good idea to do a pain management rotation in that month? I mean I would like to definitely do it but the only thing holding me back is the schedule (7-4 everyday).

I know that I may sound lazy given that 7-4 is not that bad, but I kind of wanted a more chill rotation my last month. Residency orientation will probably start the last week of June and I just wanted some down time. On the other hand, the rotation would be a way to get decent exposure to the field and possibly pursue electives in pain during residency if I do end up liking it. Just trying to figure out what would be the best way to proceed in my situation....

Any advice?

i do generally recommend pain rotations, but in your case, i would not.

you are going to be looking forward to the stresses and strains of internship/residency. you will have so much time in a hospital that you forget where you 1. park your car 2. park your apt. 3. left your cat.

relax. chill. enjoy your last days of medical school. do rotations you could care less about.

after all this time out from med school, i still remember those last 3-4 months fondly.

i do generally recommend pain rotations, but in your case, i would not.

you are going to be looking forward to the stresses and strains of internship/residency. you will have so much time in a hospital that you forget where you 1. park your car 2. park your apt. 3. left your cat.

relax. chill. enjoy your last days of medical school. do rotations you could care less about.

after all this time out from med school, i still remember those last 3-4 months fondly.

post call as an intern, i once washed a bagel, thinking it was an apple. :eek:

btw, this post has no bearing on your question.