2ne1

7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I am applying for this year's cycle and I am in the process of asking professors for LORs..
As of now, I found one bio prof who is willing to write me a letter. Another bio prof I though I was close with(took two classes with her), said she will consider it since she has 20+ letters she has to write before me.
I was so bummed since I thought I was pretty sure that I could get a letter from her.
So, I asked another bio prof and she says since she doesn't really know me plus doesn't really have time to get to KNOW me, she will just write a generic letter if I send her my resume and personal statement.

I still haven't talked to my PI, but if he can't write a letter, I am going to ask a non-science prof who I have close with..I am in desperate need of 2nd science letter AND 3rd science letter for Columbia.

Do you guys think it's worth getting a generic letter from a prof? I am just asking profs of classes I got an A on and since I am from a big public university, it was hard for me to develop close relationship with profs. I know most profs will write generic letter, but since she just straight up told me she will write a generic letter, I am scared that I am going to get a sucky letter that can jeopardize my acceptances. I have good gpa and DAT.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

MrBeans

MrBeans
Nov 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I am applying for this year's cycle and I am in the process of asking professors for LORs..
As of now, I found one bio prof who is willing to write me a letter. Another bio prof I though I was close with(took two classes with her), said she will consider it since she has 20+ letters she has to write before me.
I was so bummed since I thought I was pretty sure that I could get a letter from her.
So, I asked another bio prof and she says since she doesn't really know me plus doesn't really have time to get to KNOW me, she will just write a generic letter if I send her my resume and personal statement.

I still haven't talked to my PI, but if he can't write a letter, I am going to ask a non-science prof who I have close with..I am in desperate need of 2nd science letter AND 3rd science letter for Columbia.

Do you guys think it's worth getting a generic letter from a prof? I am just asking profs of classes I got an A on and since I am from a big public university, it was hard for me to develop close relationship with profs. I know most profs will write generic letter, but since she just straight up told me she will write a generic letter, I am scared that I am going to get a sucky letter that can jeopardize my acceptances. I have good gpa and DAT.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
I would gladly take a generic letter.

You could always use it as a back-up letter for those "just-in-case" situations :)

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
As long as you have at least 1 good letter from a prof that knows you well, I think generic letters are ok. I think most schools understand its not always easy to get to know your professors, especially if you attend a big university. I had a good letter from my PI, a decent one from a science prof, and a generic letter, and I got in. I would take it if I were you!

Mar 26, 2010
Kentucky
Status
Pre-Dental
I agree!! Having enough letters is better than being one short. Letters are a small part in the grand scheme of things. As long as she is not going to dis you in the generic letter, I feel like you'll be just fine!

crew09

5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Take it. You can decide later if you want to use it.