Worth going into Probationary EMT agreement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the NREMT in December 2025 and applied for a state license in January 2026. Over the past few months, I have been in contact with my local EMS agency discussing the decision to grant my EMT license because of an alcohol related misdemeanor I was convicted of in December 2023.

I have a few days to decide if I want to enter into an agreement with my local EMS agency for a 2 year probationary period. My question is: If I am planning on applying to medical school next year, am I required to disclose this? I am sure that there is a place to list licenses and certifications on AMCAS, so (if I agree to this probationary license) when I list my EMT license, would it be necessary to list that I have been placed on probation? I am still able to perform all responsibilities without restriction under this probation however, there are some case specific rules that I must abide by.

Additionally, if I go into this agreement and have the probation, how does that affect my chances of getting into medical school? I have owned up to my mistakes and try every single day to lead a better life for myself and others. I know what I did was not okay, and I will never repeat those mistakes again. I am just unsure if I enter into this agreement, it would prolong the effects of something that I have tried very hard to move on from.
 
I have to make a decision of whether or not to go into a Stipulated Settlement agreement regarding my EMT license with my local EMS Agency. I have worked hard to move past a misdemeanor I was convicted of in December 2023. I plan on applying to medical school in May 2027, by this time I will have the case expunged from my record. I will still disclose my situation where I am required to but I am wondering if I enter into this 2 year probation with my EMT license if that will prolong the repercussions of my conviction. I understand that I made a mistake and have owned up to it. I deserve to be punished for it and will hae completed those punishments by December of this year. So I don’t know if it’s worth it to accept this agreement or just let go of my EMT license as the most important thing for me is to get into medical school
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the NREMT in December 2025 and applied for a state license in January 2026. Over the past few months, I have been in contact with my local EMS agency discussing the decision to grant my EMT license because of an alcohol related misdemeanor I was convicted of in December 2023.

I have a few days to decide if I want to enter into an agreement with my local EMS agency for a 2 year probationary period. My question is: If I am planning on applying to medical school next year, am I required to disclose this?

Uh... your alcohol-related misdemeanor, probably yes.

Just released
 
Yes! I will be disclosing my misdemeanor. I guess my question is: am I disclosing that it is a probationary EMT license/would there even be an option for me to do so