This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1064759

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I have a few interviews coming up in the next couple of months but I was thinking about canceling them so other people have a shot. I was actually just about ready to cancel them but thought I'd solicit another opinion.

They are to a T30ish, T50, and a low-tier. They are also OOS, so tuition would be pretty high. For the purpose of stratification, my current acceptances are to a T5, T10, T30, mid-tier state school, and a couple of mid/low OOS schools. I'm still waiting on some post-II decisions from other top-choices.

I felt pretty burned out from interviews back in December because I was doing 2+ interviews per week (including some DOs) for like three months straight, but I have recovered during the holidays. So what do you all think? Should I attend the interviews or cancel them? I think the only way I would consider attending these schools over my much cheaper T5/T10 As, would be if they offered me a full-tuition scholarship. I don't really have a preference for location though -- unless it's TX, but I'm not a TX resident so that's irrelevant.
Given that you already have six offers, it is easy to see why you are burned out and ready to call it quits. Unless you think that it is very likley that one of these schools that has not yet interviewed you will offer you a full-ride, I'd say cancel and focus your energies on prepping for the school that will be featured in your next step on your journey (which you'll be narrowing down soon).

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I have a few interviews coming up in the next couple of months but I was thinking about canceling them so other people have a shot. I was actually just about ready to cancel them but thought I'd solicit another opinion.

They are to a T30ish, T50, and a low-tier. They are also OOS, so tuition would be pretty high. For the purpose of stratification, my current acceptances are to a T5, T10, T30, mid-tier state school, and a couple of mid/low OOS schools. I'm still waiting on some post-II decisions from other top-choices.

I felt pretty burned out from interviews back in December because I was doing 2+ interviews per week (including some DOs) for like three months straight, but I have recovered during the holidays. So what do you all think? Should I attend the interviews or cancel them? I think the only way I would consider attending these schools over my much cheaper T5/T10 As, would be if they offered me a full-tuition scholarship. I don't really have a preference for location though -- unless it's TX, but I'm not a TX resident so that's irrelevant.
so, if you imagine a scenario in which you would attend those schools, then go (it is virtual interviews, right?). For example, if they would give you full scholarship.

I know its rough, but it is easier to regret something youve done vs something you havent. Imagine talking to someone some time later, and that person (with worse stats or same stats) says " oh yeah, i attend X school [the one you cancelled interview at], and they actually gave me full ride".... while you are sitting on several hundred thousands. Full ride is beneficial because it gives you a completely freedom to pursue any specialty (a lot of people factor in length of training because of debt, but if you have full ride, you dont have interest accumulating, so you can do 6-7 year post-graduation training, because for you it wont matter at all). So, its a factor for some people.

now, if you absolutely cannot imagine attending the school even with full ride (lets say you REALLY hate it there), than cancel. Trust your instincts.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Other applicants who may get an opportunity to interview because of your cancelation will thank you. So, with 6 As, unless you plan on taking up one of the others, I would cancel. I declined one of mine even earlier in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
I say take the interviews and try to negotiate some full rides. I was in a similar situation earlier in the cycle and I'm happy I chose to keep interviewing. I received 2 full ride offers from schools that weren't my top choice, and after telling my top choice, they gave me a full ride too.
Having an acceptance and not having to worry about finances or loans is such a stress reliever. And I'm sure your future-resident/attending self will thank you for accumulating the least amount of debt possible.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
I say take the interviews and try to negotiate some full rides. I was in a similar situation earlier in the cycle and I'm happy I chose to keep interviewing. I received 2 full ride offers from schools that weren't my top choice, and after telling my top choice, they gave me a full ride too.
Having an acceptance and not having to worry about finances or loans is such a stress reliever. And I'm sure your future-resident/attending self will thank you for accumulating the least amount of debt possible.
Good point. Do you want yourself to thank yourself or some others thank you (without you even knowing it).

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
now, if you absolutely cannot imagine attending the school even with full ride (lets say you REALLY hate it there), than cancel. Trust your instincts.
^^^ this. My kid won't be doing any more interviews (even the ones that offer full-ride) at this stage and thinking of sending withdrawl for schools with no merit possibility early.