Worth it to apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captain_nguyen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a CANADIAN non-trad looking to apply to med school. My undergrad was in engineering and have a course-based masters in engineering as well. As it currently stands, my stats are no where near competitive enough for Canada (my GPA is mediocre and my MCAT is decent). Many people have told me that American schools are a bit more holistic and more forgiving when it comes to GPA. My extra-curriculars are strong (lots of clinical, volunteer, travel, work and entrepreneurship experiences) with the exception of research (zero experiences). However, I also understand that as a Canadian, I am going to be considered out of state or international in most cases.

I am in the process of doing a second undergrad (in languages) but would rather not complete it if I have a chance of being admitted. However, if I am better off saving my money and waiting another year, then I will do that. I am also open to re-writing my MCAT (I was sick and did not take the relevant science courses when I wrote the test). Please let me know your thoughts! Is it worth it to apply this coming cycle?

My stats are as follows:

MCAT: 514 (128/130/128/128)
CGPA: 3.60

Engineering Undergrad
Year1: 3.70
Year2: 3.26
Year3: 3.20
Year4: 3.68

M.Eng

Languages Undergrad
Year1: 3.86
Year2: ~3.95 (not finished yet)

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at some MD schools but DO interviews are more likely. I suggest these MD schools:
Boston University
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Medical College Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Michigan State
Wayne State
St. Louis
Tulane
Virginia Commonwealth