captain_nguyen

2+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2018
Hey all,

I am a CANADIAN non-trad looking to apply to med school. My undergrad was in engineering and have a course-based masters in engineering as well. As it currently stands, my stats are no where near competitive enough for Canada (my GPA is mediocre and my MCAT is decent). Many people have told me that American schools are a bit more holistic and more forgiving when it comes to GPA. My extra-curriculars are strong (lots of clinical, volunteer, travel, work and entrepreneurship experiences) with the exception of research (zero experiences). However, I also understand that as a Canadian, I am going to be considered out of state or international in most cases.

I am in the process of doing a second undergrad (in languages) but would rather not complete it if I have a chance of being admitted. However, if I am better off saving my money and waiting another year, then I will do that. I am also open to re-writing my MCAT (I was sick and did not take the relevant science courses when I wrote the test). Please let me know your thoughts! Is it worth it to apply this coming cycle?

My stats are as follows:

MCAT: 514 (128/130/128/128)
CGPA: 3.60

Engineering Undergrad
Year1: 3.70
Year2: 3.26
Year3: 3.20
Year4: 3.68

M.Eng

Languages Undergrad
Year1: 3.86
Year2: ~3.95 (not finished yet)

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You could receive interviews at some MD schools but DO interviews are more likely. I suggest these MD schools:
Boston University
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Medical College Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Michigan State
Wayne State
St. Louis
Tulane
Virginia Commonwealth
For DO schools I suggest these:
AZCOM
KCU-COM
LUCOM
MSUCOM
NSU-KPCOM
UNECOM
WCU-COM
WESTERN
Touro-NY
LMU-DCOM

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.