Worth it to attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eye Applicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm feeling fortunate (and surprised) to have received some interviews at top schools outside of my region. The good: High step score, AOA, strong letters, good mentors, unique experiences and interests. The less good: unknown state school, presentations but no publications, no additional degrees.

At these places I would be interviewing alongside the cream of the crop from top medical schools, with lots of publications and PhDs. Plus they will probably be really nice and awesome people.

I think my chances of matching at these top programs are extremely slim. Anddddd these interviews conflict with other interviews where (I think) I have a better shot of matching. So my question: Is it worth the time/energy/money to fly across the country to these reach programs? Or am I better served by attending interviews at less competitive (but still very good) programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a good mix of places? If a lot of your interviews are at top tier places, consider diversifying. The rare superstar applicants who don't match despite at least 10 interviews usually have most of their interviews at such places. If you do have a good mix, give the top places a shot. Also, dont underestimate the reasons why you got the interview. Some schools, though not well known in general, may have excellent ophthalmology departments, which means your LORs have strong connections.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a good mix of places? If a lot of your interviews are at top tier places, consider diversifying. The rare superstar applicants who don't match despite at least 10 interviews usually have most of their interviews at such places. If you do have a good mix, give the top places a shot. Also, dont underestimate the reasons why you got the interview. Some schools, though not well known in general, may have excellent ophthalmology departments, which means your LORs have strong connections.

I would agree with this statement. I met people who put all their eggs in one basket - no diversity to their interviews - and they didn't match.

I would also like to add that many of the residents I met in medical school at our top notch ophtho program were from "no-name" schools. There are definitely top programs that are not as concerned about "branding". That program director used to say "AOA goes a long way" ;) I would give at least a few of them a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I do have a good mix of places. I'm interviewing at quite a few low- and mid-tier programs at which I would be very happy to match. I'm definitely not that applicant who gets interviews at all (or even most) of the top 10-20 schools. I have been rejected from plenty of the big names thus far, but I've also been pleasantly surprised to receive 6-7 interviews at very highly regarded programs.

Slide, I think you are correct about connections. My letter writers are well connected at some places and I bet that helps. However, my school does not have a home program. Another disadvantage.

DrZeke, any specific top schools that you know are concerned about "branding"? It would be nice to avoid interviews where I literally do not have a chance based on pedigree alone.

I was in a very similar situation last year. I ended up matching, and matching well, but not at the top programs. In hindsight, I believe my biggest shortfall was that my letter writers were not known by anyone. Even though the writers wrote excellent letters and a number of interviewers commented on them, I was competing against applicants who had very well-known letter writers. So take that variable into consideration.

As far as what you should do, take a look at these top programs that offered you an interview and see if they have residents from non-top-10 medical schools. If they don't have any, then maybe don't interview there. But it's really up to you and how risk-averse you are and how much you need going to a big-name place.

As far as branding. It's not so much program-based as it is individual-based. You'll have some people in each program who are like that. I would imagine that if pedigree were so so important to the program they wouldn't have extended you an invite.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I do have a good mix of places. I'm interviewing at quite a few low- and mid-tier programs at which I would be very happy to match. I'm definitely not that applicant who gets interviews at all (or even most) of the top 10-20 schools. I have been rejected from plenty of the big names thus far, but I've also been pleasantly surprised to receive 6-7 interviews at very highly regarded programs.

Slide, I think you are correct about connections. My letter writers are well connected at some places and I bet that helps. However, my school does not have a home program. Another disadvantage.

DrZeke, any specific top schools that you know are concerned about "branding"? It would be nice to avoid interviews where I literally do not have a chance based on pedigree alone.

I would prefer to PM You but it's not allowing me.

I would do what peter2013 said... Out of the schools that invited you see who they take for residents and where they went to me school. Also, sometimes a well known letter writer goes a long way. So find out where your letter writers know people. I have friends from middle tier programs who matched very well, because of letters/grades/AOA.

Also, I agree with Peter, they did invite you for a reason. No two applicants are exactly alike. If in the end you can't figure out where your best shot based on letters and who they historically take just pick the couple of programs that you love the best and give yourself a chance.