Worth Mentioning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phathead

Future World Drug Lord
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may sound completely strange, but its something that I know would be a possible answer to a question asked during an interview.

I have helped run a fairly sizable message board for the last seven years. I'm talking a couple thousand users from all over the world. Because of the variety of people that post there I have had to develop various skills to both defuse problems and maintain stability. For all purposes, it has helped develop my leadership skills to manage various aspects.

My question is if this is something to weird and/or ambiguous to use as an answer to a leadership question.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't list it for the very same reason I wouldn't list the fact that I ran a D&D group for 4 years or that up until last year I was the guild master for a U.S. Top 10 guild on World of Warcraft, managing at times 25-50 players, their needs, their gripes, bitches and whines.

I still don't see electronic leadership as viable in comparison to real leadership (e.g., compared to my squad leadership in Iraq) and therefore would not include it... unless I had absolutely nothing else at all to mention.

The population-at-large still sees electronic people as != real people so you need to account for that.

I wouldn't mention it unless you wanted to bring it up as "hobbies".

This may sound completely strange, but its something that I know would be a possible answer to a question asked during an interview.

I have helped run a fairly sizable message board for the last seven years. I'm talking a couple thousand users from all over the world. Because of the variety of people that post there I have had to develop various skills to both defuse problems and maintain stability. For all purposes, it has helped develop my leadership skills to manage various aspects.

My question is if this is something to weird and/or ambiguous to use as an answer to a leadership question.

Just do it when it seems appropriate.