Would a LOR from my Jiujitsu instructor be a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boburnham

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

As the question says, do you think this would be beneficial or would it be a bad idea?

By the time I apply, I will have been with my instructor for 4 years, and we have a very good relationship.

I was thinking this would be good because he could talk about how I'm dedicated, eager to learn, patient, willing to stay after hours to learn a technique or help others, and maybe more importantly, a person who has interests outside of medicine.

My initial thought was that this would be good for a LOR since these qualities are also needed to be a Doctor, and I'm sure every interviewer would speak about it during interviews which would be a big +.

At the same time, since it's not from a person directly related to the field of medicine, some may be off put by this.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

As the question says, do you think this would be beneficial or would it be a bad idea?

By the time I apply, I will have been with my instructor for 4 years, and we have a very good relationship.

I was thinking this would be good because he could talk about how I'm dedicated, eager to learn, patient, willing to stay after hours to learn a technique or help others, and maybe more importantly, a person who has interests outside of medicine.

My initial thought was that this would be good for a LOR since these qualities are also needed to be a Doctor, and I'm sure every interviewer would speak about it during interviews which would be a big +.

At the same time, since it's not from a person directly related to the field of medicine, some may be off put by this.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

If a school asks for three letters and one of them is this, you're making a mistake. It wouldn't make you look dedicated, eager to learn, etc, it would make you look like someone who can't get more than two relevant LORs and had to resort to plan C. I do see letters of this ilk from time to time, usually from people who submit more than five. They are typically non-factors.

Reactions: 5 users
It would be a great (superb) choice for an activity, even a most-meaningful one. I would not recommend using this as a letter of recommendation though. Listing it as an activity will still give you ample opportunity to discuss your training in the admissions process.

Members don't see this ad :)
If a school asks for three letters and one of them is this, you're making a mistake. It wouldn't make you look dedicated, eager to learn, etc, it would make you look like someone who can't get more than two relevant LORs and had to resort to plan C. I do see letters of this ilk from time to time, usually from people who submit more than five. They are typically non-factors.

Ahh I hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks for being concise and to the point! I'll just mention it as an extracurricular when it comes to apply and hopefully interviewers will be curious enough to ask about it.

It would be a great (superb) choice for an activity, even a most-meaningful one. I would not recommend using this as a letter of recommendation though. Listing it as an activity will still give you ample opportunity to discuss your training in the admissions process.

After reading the previous posters comment on how the ADCOM would view it, it definitely sounds like a bad idea to use a LOR to speak about it. I do agree that it is a very good activity to be able to write down on the app and it should be rare enough (hopefully) to invoke further questioning during an interview.

Thanks for the reply!

After reading the previous posters comment on how the ADCOM would view it, it definitely sounds like a bad idea to use a LOR to speak about it. I do agree that it is a very good activity to be able to write down on the app and it should be rare enough (hopefully) to invoke further questioning during an interview.

Thanks for the reply!

Awesome. I would also remember that something need not be rare for it to be meaningful.

Awesome. I would also remember that something need not be rare for it to be meaningful.

I certainly agree. What I meant was that an interviewer would probably be more inclined to talk about unique or rare activities as opposed to talking about an activity that is on every person's application. I should have clarified better, but I didn't mean that the more unique the opportunity the more meaningful it is to the person.

Not to derail this post, but how many head injuries have you received while on doing Jiu Jitsu? I would like to do it, but I don't want to get messed up too badly.

Not to derail this post, but how many head injuries have you received while on doing Jiu Jitsu? I would like to do it, but I don't want to get messed up too badly.

I've been doing Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai for 2.5 years about 4 days a week, and I've had 0 injuries in either sport. My biggest advice I could give to not get hurt in Jiu Jitsu is to find a reputable place that is adamant on keeping everyone safe. If you try out a place and notice that certain people don't give up when another person taps, I would look for a new place. Also, if you get caught in any move, tap right away when you start feeling pressure. If you wait until it actually starts to hurt it may be too late, and people will not roll with you if you're too manly to not tap out of a position when you've clearly lost.

0 chance at head injuries unless you're doing something crazy. Joint injuries are what most people are concerned about. Agree with OP, when you're a white belt just tap out if it's uncomfortable, you're learning. (Unless it's knee on belly)

Kidding.
Sort of.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Man , I love Jiu Jitsu. Regarding your questions, I wouldn't use the LOR but I would put it in my essay /activity. I talked so much about it in interview because I love it. People love to find out your passion. Talk about it . It's a really good passion to have. Personally, It give me an advantage over other and end up with acceptance beyond my expectation since schools look for diversity in their class. Not cookie cutter.

Man , I love Jiu Jitsu. Regarding your questions, I wouldn't use the LOR but I would put it in my essay /activity. I talked so much about it in interview because I love it. People love to find out your passion. Talk about it . It's a really good passion to have. Personally, It give me an advantage over other and end up with acceptance beyond my expectation since schools look for diversity in their class. Not cookie cutter.

As do I! What's your rank? I'm testing for my blue belt in April. And I'm not entirely sure what's on the application since I haven't viewed it yet, but I will definitely put it down in whatever section of the app it falls under. Glad it helped you in your app process!

14 months. White belt 3 tripes. Congrat on your blue belt. The test will be tough man. In my gym, after all the technique tests. They'll exhausted you first. Then you have to go through rolling gauntlet to all the black belts for hours. Even all the pro mma fighters were dying at the end.

14 months. White belt 3 tripes. Congrat on your blue belt. The test will be tough man. In my gym, after all the technique tests. They'll exhausted you first. Then you have to go through rolling gauntlet to all the black belts for hours. Even all the pro mma fighters were dying at the end.

I got my third around 15 I believe so you're on track. Yeah my instructors say "If you can manage to come out of this test alive, you can survive anything". The last blue belt test was 4 months ago and the guys testing had the most blank emotionless expression towards the end, it literally looked like they were walking zombies.

Hello,

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I feel it would depend on what your instructor would say about you. I had 5 letters of recommendation, and one of my letters was from my University wrestling Coach. I personally think it was one of my better letters. It had a lot about teamwork, leadership, helping others with technique, and youth coaching. Sounds similar to you. It could be a particularly good opportunity for your instructor to convey:
1. Your capacity as a leader
2. How well you work with others
3. Your capacity to communicate/teach technique to those who have never seen it (part of a doctor's job is to teach and educate patients!)
4. Your coachability, humbleness, and willingness to listen/learn from those more experienced than yourself.

These are all qualities that schools would like to see in their applicants and your instructor probably knows you well enough to give specific examples/stories to highlight these attributes. If you are are planning on sending more than 3 letters I would say go for it.

Generally I was always told:
3 professor letters (2 science;1 non-science)
2 character letters (one should probably be from someone Healthcare or research related. Your jiu-jitsu instructor would be a perfectly acceptable 1nd character letter)

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Would at least be interesting --- i wouldn't fret too mcuh if you got two or three other solid letters. I mean how many times can someone say, dang this kid is good at school or lab.

Anyone train jiu jitsu during school?
How many times a week?
I’ve been to 2 classes and love it but I’m worried about getting into a contract or paying >100/ mo if I can only train once a week.

How many times a week?
I’ve been to 2 classes and love it but I’m worried about getting into a contract or paying >100/ mo if I can only train once a week.
Do you mean during undergrad or med school? I train 3-4 days a week right now, and plan on continuing when med school starts for at least 2 days a week. Jiu Jitsu is the best investment you can make in yourself. Highly recommend.

Reactions: 1 users
38F4966E-F29A-4CD9-B5ED-6E9F5251D60E.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
How many times a week?
I think it's a good idea. Really great for mental health/balance. It's impossible to think about medical school where you're in the fat purple belt's sweaty stinky triangle choke.

I think it's a good idea. Really great for mental health/balance. It's impossible to think about medical school where you're in the fat purple belt's sweaty stinky triangle choke.
or the rear naked choke with the sweat-laden man-bun grazing your face.

Our neighborhood comedian, Mr. Burnham already answered. But to give an example: when I first started, I was doing some free sparring with a blue belt. He was showing me some moves and quickly got me in an Americana. I didn't want to be annoying and tap immediately, so I let him push through it a bit until it really started to hurt, and now many months later I still lack some mobility in that shoulder (although it's gotten a lot better). There are some moves that are riskier than others, but no matter what, always tap early. Don't let your parter try out a guillotine and wait to get fully cranked before you politely let them know that your neck just got obliterated.

The injury was 100% my fault. My studio emphasizes safety above all else, but it was just me being an idiot. Be smart and you'll be fine :)