Would appreciate any advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elfin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 29N (8P, 12V, 9B)
cGPA: 3.59
sGPA: 3.25

I'm getting a late start in the application cycle, and with my low stats, should I even bother applying MD schools? The more I learn about DO schools and the osteopathic philosophy, the more I'm starting to lean towards DO anyway. However, I don't have any experience shadowing a DO. Should I still apply anyway?

Also, I'm a CA resident and would prefer to return to CA. But I'm aware that there is a very slight chance of that happening, so I'm prepared to apply throughout the country.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf

Per the above AAMC data, you have a 38.6% shot at allopathic med schools based on your cGPA and MCAT score. Your chances are likely less than that, as your BCPM isn't very strong, and a PS of 8 is limiting, but if you have a steep upward grade trend in the sciences and strong ECs, you might consider applying to some less-selective allo med schools just to give it a try.

I think you'd have a very good chance at an acceptance to some of the DO schools, however. All DO schools don't require a DO letter. It's probably a good idea to try to shadow one though, for your own sake.

DO schools needing DO recommendation: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=10677&d=1217108730

Thanks, Catalystik! I've noticed you've replied to many on this board. I don't think I'm alone in saying how grateful I am for your help. I have another question:

As of now, I think I'd want to go into Pediatrics or Psychiatry, which I've learned have more DO-friendly residencies. However, if I were to change my mind down the road and want to go into something more competitive like Radiology or Dermatology, is it true that it would be much harder to obtain a residency as a DO? I don't want to close any doors now and regret it later.

However, I also know that DOs can apply to DO and MD residencies, whereas MDs can only apply to MD residencies. Doesn't this then mean that DOs are at an advantage cause they can apply to more residencies? Why then do I keep hearing that it's harder for DOs?

Thanks!!

Getting into highly-selective residencies like those you've mentioned requires high USMLE and/or COMLEX scores. Some MD-focused residency programs don't accept COMLEX scores, requiring an aspirant to take two boards tests. The expense and the fact that DO schools may not teach specifically to pass the USMLE (requiring one to learn more on their own) may be an impediment. The coursework is essentially the same at both types of school, but DO schools spend a significant amount of time teaching OMM, which potentially dilutes the time spent on other coursework.

Another factor may be that applicants who had lower MCAT scores may have lower USMLE/COMLEX scores because they aren't good standardized test takers in general. High verbal scores (and congrats on that BTW) have been found to have a good correlation with passing the USMLE, but I haven't read that there's a correlation with later high scores on the USMLE. Still, this isn't a huge factor as a good percentage of DO grads go into non-primary care specialties which tend to need higher scores to be competitive. I don't know the figures for those going into the most-selective specialties.

As a generalization, you will only be limited in specialty by your own ambitions, willingness to work for other needed expectations like research, leadership activity, Honors in third year clerkships, and test taking skills.

This is just my speculation on the issue. I'm sure you'll find additional discussion in SDN's PreMed Osteopathic Forum if you Search for it.