Would appreciate input

Started by meedp1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

meedp1

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

Wanted to get some input on how I'd fare for top MD/PhD programs.
Research- 4 years (including summers) + gap year of research while I apply (all in one lab, famous PI, great rec letter). 2 years spent on other people's projects. 2 years on thesis; hopefully a first author publication out of it.
Cumulative GPA- 3.78
Sci GPA- 3.68
MCAT- taking in June, practice tests in 518-520 range.
Undergrad- Ivy
Other extracurriculars: great overall (diverse, tons of leadership, shadowing, and volunteering)

Schools I was shooting for (these are just on the top end, will obviously expand list to include a range): WashU, UPenn, Michigan, Emory, Case Western, Mt Sinai, Cornell Tri, UChicago.

I guess my main concern is my science GPA. Will this prevent me from getting my foot in the door? If so, is it a better idea to just apply MD (I'd prefer not to do this, but if I have to.....)?
 
Congrats on what you have accomplished! Good luck on your MCAT, but despite everything, you must apply to 15-20 MSTP programs and perhaps a couple of safety programs. If you get too many interview offers, you can start triaging. However, the picture changes if you get, for example, a 515. In that case, you must open your mindset and apply, 5-10 dream MSTP, 5 strong match (mixed of fully funded MD/PhD programs and less competitive MSTPs), and 5 safety MD/PhD programs (still fully funded).

Every Admissions Committee reacts differently to GPAs. You are still competitive but for the very top MSTPs. If you ace the MCAT, you might have a chance... but know, top MSTPs have hundredths of applicants with similar or better academic numbers for their sixty MD/PhD interview slots.