Would be "illegal" to bring a MD recorder to the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. H

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about bringing the MD recorder and turning it on record while itsin my pocket. I could use it to critique myself and improve for another interview. But lets just say they catch me, would I be in trouble?

Members don't see this ad.

hrm, this is a tough one... how would you get caught anyway? plus, i don't think the quality/reception of the microphone will be good enough to record through thick fabric that suits are made out of. first make sure it will work by putting on the suit you're going to wear, putting it where you plan to put it, and having a convo with someone in a quiet room. if it works, i don't see the harm in it as long as you DONT get caught with it, cause it might be illegal. but dude why risk it? it's not worth it!

I'll save the tapes in case the interviewer tries some sahdy sh##

Members don't see this ad :)
i wouldnt do it, not worth the risk... and you don't want to spend the interview being nervous that they might catch you, definately not going to help you stay cool calm and collected.

You know about the guy that left the guy on the table to go to the bank and well I think you get the point.:rolleyes:

Why do it????? In hindsight (for that you will have to do it), it will seem stupid.

X

You should walk into the interview with a video camera recording, place it on the table facing the interviewer, sit back, and smile. Say something like "this is just to keep you honest during this interview."

You probably won't get accepted (although you'd get points for brass ones), but it would be a great story.

i think it would be illegal. i think usually you have to let the person know you are recording them

Originally posted by Mr. H
I'll save the tapes in case the interviewer tries some sahdy sh##

Geez, Mr. H! What a stupid thing to post! Is EVERYONE out to "get" you? Get a life!

tsk tsk tsk Mr. Pimpozoid! Haven't you ever heard the term "yankin' your chain?" Havin' another bad day, huh?

"I'm paranoid, I'm paranoid cuz everybody's comin to get me, just say ya never met me and everything will turn out fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine."

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt that it is illegal, but it is inappropriate. Don't do it. It is unprofessional, and if you get caught, I think that you can guarantee a rejection.

I think if you're concerned about practicing before the interview, you should ask a friend to do a mock interview. Tape that one -- not only will the sound quality be better, but you won't be worried about it throughout the real interview.

dont know where you guys get these silly notions about legality.
if anything I would think it is legal everywhere - so long as you are party to the conversation.

but here's what I dragged up:
A majority of the states and territories have adopted wiretapping statutes based on the federal law. Thirty-eight states and the District of Columbia permit an individual to record a conversation to which they are a party without informing the other party that they are doing so. These laws are referred to as ?one-party consent? statutes, and as long as you are a party to the conversation, it is legal for you to record it.

Twelve states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington. Be aware that you will sometimes hear these referred to inaccurately as ?two-party consent? laws. If there are more than two people involved in the conversation, all must consent to the taping.

http://expertpages.com/news/taping_conversations.htm

but regardless of legality - it could be misconstrued as unethical - even though I'm not sure why - so dont get caught. but it doesnt even seem that much of an issue - its an MD player/recorder - even if it blatantly play with it shortly before or after the interview, who is going to expect that you're taping the interview.
honestly I dont think it is that bad an idea - when interviewing, things seem to be moving at a very different speed from what you know they actually are.
its also a good idea to catch bad habits - like saying "ummmm..." 20 million times - which is the most annoying thing EVER!!
the only reason I wouldnt do it is because I would be tempted to listen to it over and over, critiquing myself endlessly. on top of that - if you say something DUMB you cant try to delude yourself into thinking that its not that bad!!

I think it's a good idea. You can then write out all the questions that the interviewer asked you, so you'll be well prepared for the next one, or can share with friends.

i think its illegal-
why has this post been bumped???
p

Thanks for the information DarkChild.

I think it is a bad idea to take a recorder to the interview. I have been interviewed by 18 interviewers. What helped me the most is having practiced. I had four mock interviews with PhDs and then I had a two mock interviews with my wife. I have heard that it is good to record yourself on video when you are being mock interviewed, so you can listen to the length, clarity and diction of your answers. Also, watching the video would help you improve your body language.

Nothing could have prepared me for the real thing more than actually flying out to the medical school and sitting down with the interviewer. Once you go through one, then the rest get easier.

The best preparation is to know your AMCAS well and read over your essays. You can buy a few books on ethics, but your own moral views should not change because you read a book.

Check out all the cool spy gear

http://www.spyworld.com/

You could tape record, video, search for bugs, and talk to a friend outside all while wearing a bullet proof vest and the interviewer would NEVER KNOW!!!

(Still, I wouldn't do it unless I had an acceptance from somewhere alerady. ;) )

I think you should use one of those spy "button" cams and send a live feed to the internet so we could all log on and watch your interview as it takes place.

That would be inspirational to me.;)

Listen, if you're going to video tape a lecture, at least do it right. Hire a three person camera crew, and ask if you can bring them into the office. Then have it broadcast on the 6pm news, so others can write in to the med school and evaluate your performance.

STOP BUMPING THIS F_ING THREAD!!!
:D :D :p