Medical Would I be insane to retake a 520 MCAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I received a 520 on the MCAT, but all my practice tests were around 524-525. Am I insane to do a retake? Will a retake look bad to adcoms?

Retaking a 520 would be perceived as your having very poor judgment. Don't even think about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Am I insane to do a retake? Will a retake look bad to adcoms?
Yes and yes.

A 520 = 525, when you get to these percentiles.

More sinister is the perfectionist attitude. People who try to learn everything end up learning nothing.

That, and students with this mindset are forever in our offices, arguing over why their 95 on the exam should actually be a 96.

The wise gyngyn has reported that such a candidate at his school would be rejected.

Reactions: 1 users
IIRC, there's barely a difference in percentile rank between 520 and 525? Maybe 93rd vs 95th percentile? (I don't have my histogram before me to know.)

Unless you are explicitly instructed to retake the exam, don't be crazy. Know that you have a strong chance to get a lower score, and with some schools averaging your attempts, you'd be foolish or be considered a fool.

(Somewhere there is a game-show analogy I can apply in this context, but Press Your Luck doesn't really fit as a good analogy to me here. "I already have $50,000 accumulated after my third Whammy, but I have 3 more spins...")

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 3 users
As everyone has said, it would be very unwise to retake this score. The difference between a 520 and 524 is a couple of questions and can easily be attributed to random error. If you are not offered an interview at any school, it will not be because of your MCAT score. Congratulations on a great score - you can now officially put the MCAT out of your mind!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.