Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Would I survive?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by smurf528, Jan 4, 2009.

1. smurf528

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have lived in florida my whole life and I am still staying with my parents during my undergrad studies. I was wondering if new york would be a major difference from tampa, florida. I plan on applying this summer for the 2010 cycle and I don't know if i'll be able to live in new york alone. I have been there a few times and know very little people. NYU is in my top three just behind UF and NOVA.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Have to leave the roost sometime

4. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Theres a difference between staying to save some $$ and staying b/c you are dependent......

Are you going to live with them once you graduate from d-school as well? You should probably make it a point at this stage to get out of the house.... you aren't a kid anymore.

5. smurf528

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I don't mind leaving. It's just that NYU is pretty far from where my family live and I don't know a soul up there. Is the d-school in a safe area?

6. smileforme31

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yes the dental school is awesome! i would totally go there if the cost wasn't a problem. its just so much money to live rent in nyc... gluck!

7. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think there are a lot of people who go to cshool in areas where they don't know a single person. You'll meet people :):) Maybe find out how expensive travel bet NYU and FL is so you have an idea of how much aplanned and how much a last minute flight home may cost. You'll probably be too busy though. And NY City is so much fun you can't go wrong.

8. Jake8

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am a Florida boy who will most likely be going to NYU next year, and am not worried about it. I look forward to meeting tons of new people and basically having a clean slate to start off with, such as no undergrad drama carrying over. Also Jet blue is your friend as they have so many cheap direct flights between here and NY.

As far as surviving, as long as you are open minded you can adapt anywhere and succeed. FYI you will spend so much time in dental school and lab you won't have too much to adapt to.

9. bustedgrill

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Another Bull? Uf, Nova and NYU are my tops too. I think you should be okay if Nova and UF fall through. Just remember, there comes a time when everyone has to make a life for themselves. You can do it. Good luck. Maybe see ya at UF!

10. smurf528

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yep! Hopefully we can both get into UF!!! I just wish I can get my degree so I can apply for the 2010 cycle!

11. nydds25

2+ Year Member

Are you a girl? If you are, then I may be able to be a friend to you at NYU.

12. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Isn't UF tuition like 12K or something for residents of Florida? I kno their medical school is only 17K a year!!! UF is my #1 choice. lol lets just hope i get in :rolleyes:

13. AMP11

AMP11 Blah!!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Another Bull here. I am also applying this summer and my top three are the same. I actually want to get out since I have lived in Tampa like the last 11 years.

14. smurf528

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yea I'm a female. I'm just crossing my fingers if I can actually get in to d-school.

15. Ninja9

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Another bull here. Seems like we are all in good company! :)

My top choices are UF, NOVA, UNC, and Tufts. I haven't thought about New York due to location and price. I've been to NYC. Fun place to visit, but I don't know if I would want to spend 4 years of my life there.

Anyone in the pre-dental club at USF? I was thinking of joining but don't really know how to get involved.

Also, have any of you had problems finding assistantships/shadowing experience?

16. chiz2kul

chiz2kul t.roll.ed for Banning
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ah you'll be ok, everyone has to move out sometime anyways. I moved continents, w.out knowing anybody here when i was like 18 lol and i turned out ok, so you'll be fine.

17. AMP11

AMP11 Blah!!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Ya I was part of it but I haven't attended the meeting in almost a year. But one of my good friends in on the E board now and convinced me to come back and will be helping me out with my personal statement. Its a very good place to get help and you can easily find out places to shadow by asking others.