would it be bad to apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banana317

Reaction score
As I have been reading these boards and discussing with friends about their journey as a pre-med, I am continually worried about whether or not I will even have a chance this coming cycle... I have provided information about myself here and if you get through the whole thing, I would greatly appreciate the feedback!

1. currently in my fourth year of undergrad and I have one more year to go

2. majoring in Neurobiology, physiology, and behavior with a minor in psychology

3. first two years of college I was a business major and played D1 volleyball

4. transferred to play at a larger school closer to home (this was an absolute disaster and ultimately ended my career in volleyball, all while dealing with a death in my family prior to this)

5. moved back out near first school due to boyfriend attending law school at another local school and they provided great research opportunities at said school

6. spent 3rd year of school getting use to the new lifestyle of not being an athlete and felt the need to get a job at the local lululemon (surprisingly competitive as a female) I did this for a year and realized that I needed to focus my time on ECs and here we are now
Some stats

GPA: 3.71

science GPA: 3.61

ECs: research at VA studying resilience and chronic pain (started in august), volunteer at a church organization helping underprivileged kids with homework and playing games with them (started in september), volunteer at children's hospital (start in december), involved in organization with school that gives camp to children whose parents have cancer or have suffered/died from cancer (started in august)

additional comments: MCAT will be taken in June, going to shadow at least 50 hours before I apply, and hopefully will find some good clinical experience along the way. I am hoping to do psychiatry (child trauma, PTSD, and Schizophrenia being main focus).

My question is ultimately, how does my application look thus far? I am beyond stressed with the need to increase my GPA but this semester has been just slammed with everything. Of course, I will have to provide a great MCAT score (hoping to get something between 510-515) I am concerned that I will not have enough in the way of "why do you want to become a doctor" since having a parent who is a physician and being around patients watching everything the doctors did since I could remember, doesn't count in this category. I am constantly hearing people who have already had chances to essentially treat patients in many different settings, and have not done anything like this. idk I just want some opinions on if any of my resume sounds sufficient... I am hoping to get in to middle/lower tier programs, including my home state schools and a neighboring state school (selective toward residents but I have several ties to said school and would prefer that school over my state school any day).

If you made it this far, thank you for reading and I am excited to hear your thoughts!! @Goro if you are able to, I would love for some feedback! (I am also from the 314)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: