Would it look bad if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

creative8401

Im Anush Hayastan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Here are my stats:

Sciences: 3.38
Non-science: 3.71
Cum: 3.5

DAT
Bio:20
Ochem:20
Gchem:20
TS:20
PAT:19
RC:16
QR:16

I have applied to 33 schools (to increase my chances of getting in bc of the two 16), my question

I'm thinking of adding more schools, would it look bad to admissions committee?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

if you have all that money why don't you just retake and if you don't get in then reapply next year.

Thank you for your reply. I did retake:

August of 08
Bio:18
Gchem:18
ochem:18
TS:18
PAT:22
RC:19
QR:14

I dont think it would be smart to retake, I think that's that with the DAT.

Thanks

PS: I've asked several admission committee counselors they all told me not to retake any more b/c of chances of reducing my TS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess in a way I'm also asking what are my chances.

Thank you everyone, I know its the dreaded topic on SDN, but help a guy out.

Nobody knows if more schools decreases your chances/it looks bad to the adcoms. Nobody knows if the schools actually know how many other schools you applied to unless it is in the secondar. A few of the secondaries I have done have asked what other schools I applied to.

I think it is a good idea to apply to more to increase the chances but thats my take on it. Others disagree.

well i think if you don't over do it then it's alright, i mean i applied to 15, which i thought was a lot.
33, wow i can't even calculate the aadsas bill lol

your dat scores are actually pretty good i would say. a 20 TS is nothing to sneeze at. The only real downside i would think would be that the science gpa is on the lower side. a 3.7 non science is really good, and a 3.5 overall is good too

Hopefully you wrote a really good personal essay (maybe touching upon your science courses) and you get into a few schools.

i wish you the best of luck!!

damn 33 must be like 5000 dollars+. I spent 4050 with 26 schools.

If you look at the Chart 53 schools is $3315 so sl2obel2ts you either remember wrong or they overcharged you! ha (I am talking about the AADSAS)

oh that was including all the secondaries and DAT scores

^ dont forget ada fees and secondaries.

To OP: If you can afford to apply, then apply. Don't let anyone discourage you about that, remember everyone here is a STUDENT, they can only say so much. Since your DAT is done, apply, the next mailing for AADSAS goes out Sept 15th so you should be decent shape

damn 33 must be like 5000 dollars+. I spent 4050 with 26 schools.

Why the hell would you apply to 26 schools??? Dude do you honestly not think you would get into any of your top 15 choices???

Look at your stats.

What may be holding you is not the number of schools you applied or intend to apply to, but rather your stats. No doubt, adcoms will spot desperate applicants. If the scores for the schools you are applying to are below the means, increasing the number of applications may only increase he number of rejections.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527651

Why the hell would you apply to 26 schools??? Dude do you honestly not think you would get into any of your top 15 choices???

Look at your stats.

Yeah, you're right but somehow Case rejected him , probably low score in the RC or smth else, but 5 interviews so far are great. Wish you luck with them.:luck:

I know from personal experience that schools ask you your reason for applying for certain schools and when you have 33 especially if they were chosen at random it will give an impression that you just want to get into any dental school.

Hi everyone. Thank you for your responses. I'm thinking that if the admissions committee on an interview asks, and I explain, wouldnt it show that I want to be a dentist.

I guess its a hard situation because you can easily argue the other side. Applying to many would look like you are not confident (hmm...two 16 on DAT is valid for that), but you can argue the other side too that applying to many shows that you are really committed to the field.

I dont know just something I thought.

Hi everyone. Thank you for your responses. I'm thinking that if the admissions committee on an interview asks, and I explain, wouldnt it show that I want to be a dentist.

I guess its a hard situation because you can easily argue the other side. Applying to many would look like you are not confident (hmm...two 16 on DAT is valid for that), but you can argue the other side too that applying to many shows that you are really committed to the field.

I dont know just something I thought.

The most important thing is to know why exactly you chose the schools that you did...find a common ground among all the schools that you chose ...for example if you really want to go into research and all the dental schools that you chose are big on research then that is something that you can convey in an interview. As long as you can really convey to them a positive side in choosing as many schools as you did then that would be a good thing. Still don't add more schools because 33 is plenty and I am sure you will get a response from some of the schools....I can't imagine how much supplemental info you had to send!!!!

I applied to 27 schools. I basically applied to every school that I thought I had atleast a 20% to get into based on out of state stuff and acceptance of community college credit. I can't imagine there are to many more you can add to you list that will actually be worth it. Save the money for D-school. You'll get in somewhere.

I applied to 13 schools and I thought that i was crazy for applying to so many. Now the problem is paying to go to all of the interviews. I never imagined that so many of the schools would invite me to interviews and now I can't even afford to go check them all out.

Thank you for your response. I dont know your stats, but I really want to get in this cycle (I'm a reapply), and so am trying to play it safe. Its coming from desperation because I dont know what to do at all.