Medical Would LGBTQ be considered a marginalized group for this secondary prompt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Prompt:
"Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? If so, please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community."

I had a strict traditional upbringing, had to repress my LGBTQ identity, and had no exposure to sexual education or sexual health. But I wasn't sure if that would be okay to put for this prompt. It does ask if I identify as part of a group and how it affected the community, and LGBTQ patients are definitely marginalized in healthcare. But I didn't want to use this prompt in case it was meant for things like race or SES.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Prompt:
"Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? If so, please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community."

I had a strict traditional upbringing, had to repress my LGBTQ identity, and had no exposure to sexual education or sexual health. But I wasn't sure if that would be okay to put for this prompt. It does ask if I identify as part of a group and how it affected the community, and LGBTQ patients are definitely marginalized in healthcare. But I didn't want to use this prompt in case it was meant for things like race or SES.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

— Experts please respond to this post —
Yes. It qualifies (See Treating Transgender Patients free HPSA course, more in Becoming a Student Doctor HPSA course, see my signature).

What is your character limit? Personal experience is desirable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.