Would like input for paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurghStudent

lurker
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Osteopathic medicine is near and dear to me, even though I go to an MD school. For this reason, I have been working with a physician to compose a paper on the current status of MD, DO and the GME system, a paper that will question why in this day and age we still have two separate parallel systems. I would love to have seen the merger pass successfully.

From the DO side, can you please direct me to some resources. I have done a fair bit of research on my own, but I would just like to make sure I'm not missing anything. I have to get the definitive list of DO schools in existence or planned, the distribution of OGME programs across specialties, etc. I've been on the AOA website a lot and they have some great pdf data sets.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think to understand why there are 2 parallel systems (that are highly integrated but still separate), you will need to understand the history of osteopathic medicine, allopathic medicine in the US, as well as the history of medicine (and failed schools of medicine like homeopathic medicine, eclectic medicine, etc.). And for comparison, you should also check out what happen to osteopathy in England (where it is limited to OMT and is not part of mainstream medicine at all ... UK trained DOs are not physicians).

A good book to start is The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America, by Norman Gevitz (who did his PhD thesis on this topic) ISBN-10: 0801878349

You should be able to find in most large collegiate library system (or use inter-library loans), or you can purchase it from Amazon (or other bookstores) if you so choose.