Would Schools look past this...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Huskie14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a D in Bio II my sophomore year due to both immaturity and some extreme personal circumstances (explained in my PS). I have since gotten A's and a couple B's in 34 credits of upper level bio/chemistry courses, and have graduated with honors from my university. Would schools look past this terrible blemish? Or would I have to repeat this intro course even though I have shown I can do well in advances science courses?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, 1 D won't kill your chances, but I am pretty sure that if it is a pre-req class most schools have a minimum grade...and it is usually a C....I think. So you might have to take the class over again just to have the grade (and if you are applying DO you could do grade replacement on it). I am not positive, but that is just my understanding.

It's a pre-req, so you definitely need to retake. You must have a C or better in all your pre-reqs in order for them to be considered. DO schools do grade replacement, so that D will be gone as far as your GPA is concerned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disappointment. From the title I was hoping you'd robbed a bank or something...oh well

Don't stress you're being too much of a pre-med. If your GPA is solid otherwise, you shouldn't have a problem. If it's a prereq you'll need to retake it anyway, and the D will get replaced with whatever you get in round 2.

I agree to an extent. Some of the schools do not have this C or higher requirement for their pre-reqs. Although, yes quite a few of them do. For example I am applying to 13 schools this summer which all do not have this requirement and that it is out of the 19 that accept Canadians (which I am). So only 6 have that requirement. Mind you, some of these are the "better" schools