would taking adv. molecular, cell bio,biochem help in pharm school?

Started by lesept2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lesept2

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a current undergrad as a pharm sci major. I noticed that for UCSD they mentioned how they highly recommend to take classes in advanced biochemistry, molecular biology, and such. My undergrad school offer these courses but is it worth it or should I wait till pharm school? I will also be taking molecular pharmacology for 2 quarters and so I wander if this would take care of the buisness mentioned.
 
I'm a current undergrad as a pharm sci major. I noticed that for UCSD they mentioned how they highly recommend to take classes in advanced biochemistry, molecular biology, and such. My undergrad school offer these courses but is it worth it or should I wait till pharm school? I will also be taking molecular pharmacology for 2 quarters and so I wander if this would take care of the buisness mentioned.

If you personally feel that you are prepared right now to take on those classes, I'd recommend it.

But if you had to choose only one, I'd recommend Biochem if you haven't had any kind of introduction to biochemistry.
 
I'm a current undergrad as a pharm sci major. I noticed that for UCSD they mentioned how they highly recommend to take classes in advanced biochemistry, molecular biology, and such. My undergrad school offer these courses but is it worth it or should I wait till pharm school? I will also be taking molecular pharmacology for 2 quarters and so I wander if this would take care of the buisness mentioned.

I don't know that you'd really need "advanced" biochem, but think having biochem and molecular bio would make your life easier in pharmacy school. If UCSD recommends that you take them though, there may be a reason for that. Regardless, having those upper level sciences on your transcript does look good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a current undergrad as a pharm sci major. I noticed that for UCSD they mentioned how they highly recommend to take classes in advanced biochemistry, molecular biology, and such. My undergrad school offer these courses but is it worth it or should I wait till pharm school? I will also be taking molecular pharmacology for 2 quarters and so I wander if this would take care of the buisness mentioned.

I personally feel that I'm flying through Biochem (with awesome exam grades to prove it) because I took undergrad cell & genetics, and graduate biochem & molecular... The biochem although we use the same textbook as the biochem class I took when I was working on my masters, it is different, and incorporates some genetic and cell bio chapters we skipped in biochem. All together it helps. The more you know, the more it helps. I'm curious to see if it still helps when we do Molecular/Med Chem, and Pharmacogenomics.
 
I'm a current undergrad as a pharm sci major. I noticed that for UCSD they mentioned how they highly recommend to take classes in advanced biochemistry, molecular biology, and such. My undergrad school offer these courses but is it worth it or should I wait till pharm school? I will also be taking molecular pharmacology for 2 quarters and so I wander if this would take care of the buisness mentioned.

Hey Broheim -- I think a class on the Dietary Habits of the African Dung Beetle as it relates to the Ancient Cultural Rituals of the Yucatan Pensinsula and/or David Hasselhoff's Scrotal Fold would be more helpful, if not more interesting, than that pile of horse---- classes you just listed. F---ing UC Overachievers...