Would that hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocSpy332

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone!

A few days ago I matched in IM university program and given that its imortant to set your goals from day 1 I would like to ask you:

Till now, I have some (3) publications in the field of pulmonology and none in the field of gastro.
Do you think that those publications could hurt my chances in a few years if I pursue a GI fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to everyone!

A few days ago I matched in IM university program and given that its imortant to set your goals from day 1 I would like to ask you:

Till now, I have some (3) publications in the field of pulmonology and none in the field of gastro.
Do you think that those publications could hurt my chances in a few years if I pursue a GI fellowship?
Yes, it’s over for you now.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello to everyone!

You need GI-related publication. I suggest starting now.

Reactions: 1 user
In all seriousness I’d reach out to the GI folks in your residency now. The remainder of the year before July is likely to be very easy and open for you. Thus the best time to start a project. The second best time is at the end of intern year or start of second year. Do not focus time and energy at the start of intern year to research! Come July all your energy should be focused on being the best IM resident intern. Don’t build a reputation with senior residents and attendings as someone who doesn’t care about being a good resident or internist. That is a mistake made much too often.

Reactions: 3 users
In all seriousness I’d reach out to the GI folks in your residency now. The remainder of the year before July is likely to be very easy and open for you. Thus the best time to start a project. The second best time is at the end of intern year or start of second year. Do not focus time and energy at the start of intern year to research! Come July all your energy should be focused on being the best IM resident intern. Don’t build a reputation with senior residents and attendings as someone who doesn’t care about being a good resident or internist. That is a mistake made much too often.
Thank you very much for your input, that's very helpful and important to know!

Short answer: NO
Long answer: Noooooooooooooo

Reactions: 3 users
Hello to everyone!

Very good advice by @GastriqueGraffin

When I look for Fellows, it is your dedication to research and advancement of the Digestive Diseases that I see, plus your basic knowledge, humility, interpersonal skills, and awesome board scores.

Build connections, do well on intern year.

I would say get involved now if the program allows helping with the COVID-19 pandemic if you are allowed by your institution (NY mostly - some tri-state also)

Get a mentor or get a couple of mentors. Attend conferences. You will match.

I might be looking and talking to my future fellow now (you). but it all depends on how the first two years of your training will go. So keep your head up, be nice, (I am sure you are) and get involve and learn and connect.

You can do it.

Very good advice by @GastriqueGraffin

When I look for Fellows, it is your dedication to research and advancement of the Digestive Diseases that I see, plus your basic knowledge, humility, interpersonal skills, and awesome board scores.

Build connections, do well on intern year.

I would say get involved now if the program allows helping with the COVID-19 pandemic if you are allowed by your institution (NY mostly - some tri-state also)

Get a mentor or get a couple of mentors. Attend conferences. You will match.

I might be looking and talking to my future fellow now (you). but it all depends on how the first two years of your training will go. So keep your head up, be nice, (I am sure you are) and get involve and learn and connect.

You can do it.
Thank you very much! I really appreciate your advices and everyone's advice!

I am an IMG in need of visa so unfortunately I can not go to my program earlier (as long as I have not my visa yet), BUT I will try to reach people, starting now.

Thank you again and I hope to meet you sometime in the near future!

Sort of echoing the above, but with an unpopular take: Other than reaching out to mentors, don't keep this on your mind this early. Learn to be an intern, learn to be an internist, learn to be a physician, learn to be a team player, open yourself to other things/ specialties in medicine- even if you are deadshot sure that you will be a gastroenterologist. Give it up for 3-6 mo (depending on the demands of your program) other than reaching out to mentors. Use this time preparing for internship, study for Step 3 (doesn't apply to you, but others in your spot), spend time with family, exercise, sleep, volunteer. Once you are comfortable being an intern under-commit and over-deliver to your mentors. The odds are stacked against you as an IMG, so yes establishing and publishing research is really key, but these next 3 months will not alter the course of your career and will be one the last times you are truly out of the rat race. You are focused and motivated, this is half the battle. Celebrate your successes- you will be humbled soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Sort of echoing the above, but with an unpopular take: Other than reaching out to mentors, don't keep this on your mind this early. Learn to be an intern, learn to be an internist, learn to be a physician, learn to be a team player, open yourself to other things/ specialties in medicine- even if you are deadshot sure that you will be a gastroenterologist. Give it up for 3-6 mo (depending on the demands of your program) other than reaching out to mentors. Use this time preparing for internship, study for Step 3 (doesn't apply to you, but others in your spot), spend time with family, exercise, sleep, volunteer. Once you are comfortable being an intern under-commit and over-deliver to your mentors. The odds are stacked against you as an IMG, so yes establishing and publishing research is really key, but these next 3 months will not alter the course of your career and will be one the last times you are truly out of the rat race. You are focused and motivated, this is half the battle. Celebrate your successes- you will be humbled soon.
Thanks a lot for your input, I really appreciate it!