Would this be a good time to organize into a union and call for labor strikes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I take it you come from money/have money?

EDIT: Oh you do. Some don't have money or come from money. For some, this is the only chance they have to get into the workforce and for some this is a way out of working for fast food chains as these opportunities are usually given to the privileged. Unfortunately it will/may come at a cost to them/their families.
You believe bagging at a grocery store is “privileged “?

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I take it you come from money/have money?

EDIT: Oh you do. Some don't have money or come from money. For some, this is the only chance they have to get into the workforce and for some this is a way out of working for fast food chains as these opportunities are usually given to the privileged. Unfortunately it will/may come at a cost to them/their families.

Huh??? How did you conclude that I come from money? I left my parents house at 18 and paid for all of my living expenses, student loans and tuition ever since. If I came from money then I would have been a homeowner at age 22 instead of 34!

I also worked at Burger King as a teenager so not sure what your point is about fast food?

Huh??? How did you conclude that I come from money? I left my parents house at 18 and paid for all of my living expenses, student loans and tuition ever since.

I said, "come from money/have money". Some folks aren't able to leave their parents house as they chip in to make ends meet. Nothing against you, I was just answering a question/statement you commented earlier.

You believe bagging at a grocery store is “privileged “?

Oh yes it is! In some areas, these are very difficult jobs to get into, especially at the front end of the store. In some areas, grocery stores only hire for the grave yard shift (stocking) and you can only get promoted to day time shift if the manager likes you.

Things are different in the ghetto. The sad thing is all these ghetto boys and girls will be let go as soon as this is over. They will risk their health just to get their foot in the door and then be shut out again. Fast food isn't like the old days. I guess you can say fast food these days are like pharmacy. Metric and someone breathing down you neck all day. Then the crappy customers and human animals that you deal with every day all for minimum wage and the minimum amount of work hours.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I said, "come from money/have money". Some folks aren't able to leave their parents house as they chip in to make ends meet. Nothing against you, I was just answering a question/statement you commented earlier.

Oh yes it is! In some areas, these are very difficult jobs to get into, especially at the front end of the store. In some areas, grocery stores only hire for the grave yard shift (stocking) and you can only get promoted to day time shift if the manager likes you.

Things are different in the ghetto. The sad thing is all these ghetto boys and girls will be let go as soon as this is over. They will risk their health just to get their foot in the door and then be shut out again.
Promotions and better shifts going to employees that exhibit reliability /potential/good attitude (ie managers like them) is exactly how things are supposed to work.

How does that make bagging groceries a “privileged” thing?

• Hmm
That sounds a lot like you made an incorrect comment and don’t like it being pointed out

Reading comprehension isn't a skill you possess. I suggest going back to re-read what I wrote or paying someone to decipher it for you troll.

Reading comprehension isn't a skill you possess. I suggest going back to re-read what I wrote or paying someone to decipher it for you troll.
You’ve not substantiated your claim, name calling aside

I have never thought of a grocery store job as privileged. That’s an interesting perspective. I guess privilege is all about perspective. From my perspective having or being able to get a minimum wage job is not a reasonable definition of privilege. At that point we would have to claim that basically any able bodied legally employable person is operating from a place of privilege.

Reactions: 4 users
LOL- Having worked in a grocery store for many years, I would say the terms "privileged" and "grocery store job" don't really even belong in the same sentence....

Reactions: 2 users
Back in the day, getting a job at a union grocery store actually was very competitive, political, and nepotistic. They were paid over $15 an hour in today's money, got what would today be considered Cadillac health insurance, and they got pensions. So if this was 1980, my man here would actually be correct. But the UFCW is a shell of its former self today, making their point seem ridiculous.

Last edited:
Grocery store clerk? Privileged? Having to stand there all day and touch dirty money, dirty items, get coughed and sneezed on, and then have to touch dirty ass coupons sitting in a dirty ass pocket/purse and then have to hear complaints about prices, sales, etc? And then get **** on by the manager because your cash count is off a couple of dolllars?

Severely underpaid job. They should be getting at least $25/hr.

If the system says you're an essential worker, then you should be getting a living wage based on where you live.

Promotions and better shifts going to employees that exhibit reliability /potential/good attitude (ie managers like them) is exactly how things are supposed to work.

How does that make bagging groceries a “privileged” thing?

I think what he's talking about is like how certain clothing stores put "attractive looking people" in the front end. There was a lawsuit a few years back when Abercrombie and Fitch and Hollister were not hiring obese people because they want to promote a California beach body/surfer type look and another lawsuit where they put a Muslim girl in the stockroom because they didn't want someone wearing hijab in the front store.

Dude what are you talking about?? You said "oh yes you do come from money" to me. What did I ever say to make you think I come from money? My parents arrived to America with $10 in their pocket. I had like $40 max in my checking account from ages 18-22 from working during school and had to take out 60k in student loans to pay for undergrad. That makes me come from money?? How about those kids whose parents bought them brand new BMWs in high school, paid for expensive private college tuition, then bought them a house after college? These kids never worked a day in their life until their mid 20s.

You've got multiple posters calling you out. Just take the L, no need to keep denying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for replying to this thread to set everyone else straight. My biggest privilege is believing in myself. Good luck in life.

I think what he's talking about is like how certain clothing stores put "attractive looking people" in the front end. There was a lawsuit a few years back when Abercrombie and Fitch and Hollister were not hiring obese people because they want to promote a California beach body/surfer type look and another lawsuit where they put a Muslim girl in the stockroom because they didn't want someone wearing hijab in the front store.
I remember those stories, it sure seemed to me like the other poster was specifically going more racial with the argument but it’s possible I misread them and they meant overweight people cannot get grocery jobs....which I would again say was not true

I remember those stories, it sure seemed to me like the other poster was specifically going more racial with the argument but it’s possible I misread them and they meant overweight people cannot get grocery jobs....which I would again say was not true

He might be going racial with it. I don't live in the ghetto but I did notice that at my Stop&Shop, most of the cashiers are attractive young women with bubbly personalities and most of the inventory/stockers are guys (I get that guys are stronger and it's easier for them to work in stock than it is for women.)

I have never thought of a grocery store job as privileged. That’s an interesting perspective. I guess privilege is all about perspective. From my perspective having or being able to get a minimum wage job is not a reasonable definition of privilege. At that point we would have to claim that basically any able bodied legally employable person is operating from a place of privilege.
It's 2020, get out of here with that ableist mindset

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Dude what are you talking about?? You said "oh yes you do come from money" to me.

"have money"

You are missing that part of the sentence. I am not sure why you are getting worked up about it. There is nothing offensive about having money. Again, I think you missed the point of what I was saying, which is more crucial.

He might be going racial with it. I don't live in the ghetto

I wasn't going "racial" with it. I was simply pointing out that in the ghetto, a job in a grocery store is more difficult to obtain than a job at a fast food restaurant. Of course in the ghetto you will always have the minorities who will face discrimination, but that wasn't my point. I have to give you props, you don't live in the ghetto, but you are the only one here that seems to get it. I didn't realize this concept was that perplexing to most members on here.

:thumbup:

I wasn't going "racial" with it. I was simply pointing out that in the ghetto, a job in a grocery store is more difficult to obtain than a job at a fast food restaurant. Of course in the ghetto you will always have the minorities who will face discrimination, but that wasn't my point. I have to give you props, you don't live in the ghetto, but you are the only one here that seems to get it. I didn't realize this concept was that perplexing to most members on here.

That’s really based off of how many stores in the blighted area. Not many grocery stores in the worst parts of town, usually still plenty of fast food

I went to high school, college, and pharmacy school in the ghetto. A lot of my friends lived in the projects so I spent a lot of time as a kid hanging out in project basketball courts.