Would this count as actual research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ricarda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in a different forum already, but nobody really seemed to know, so I'm trying again here. I'm wondering what category a certain project would fit under in an application.

During the summer of my grade 11 year, I worked at McCain Foods as a student intern (6 weeks). I completed an independent study investigating the performances of several ATP luminometers and chemical surface swabs for the Potato Processing Centre. When my work term ended, I had completed a scientific report with introduction, method, calculations, results, et cetera.

Does this count as legitimate research, or should I put this somewhere else in my applications? I didn't really get a publication out of it, but according to my supervisor, it was sent to one of McCain's global stakeholders and could possibly affect McCain's choice in future sanitation devices for their processing plants. Hence, it did have some effect on matters on a global scale.

Members don't see this ad.

I posted this in a different forum already, but nobody really seemed to know, so I'm trying again here. I'm wondering what category a certain project would fit under in an application.

During the summer of my grade 11 year, I worked at McCain Foods as a student intern (6 weeks). I completed an independent study investigating the performances of several ATP luminometers and chemical surface swabs for the Potato Processing Centre. When my work term ended, I had completed a scientific report with introduction, method, calculations, results, et cetera.

Does this count as legitimate research, or should I put this somewhere else in my applications? I didn't really get a publication out of it, but according to my supervisor, it was sent to one of McCain's global stakeholders and could possibly affect McCain's choice in future sanitation devices for their processing plants. Hence, it did have some effect on matters on a global scale.

Research can be simply defined as producing an outcome which someone then uses or could use to make changes. So if your report states an outcome (this is not the same as your data or results) let's say it is a check list for the efficient use of swabs then that recommendation, your outcome went to McCain and they can decide to use your new checklist