Would this count towards BPCM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passion8premed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Toxicology count towards BCPM?
This is the course description, "serves as an introduction to the fascinating world of chemical poisons and covers their numerous and varied effects on human health and the environment. We will learn how and why poisons have played an important history, how to critically evaluate the chemical risk information reported in the media, in addition to the underlying principles of the basic science of poisons."

Members don't see this ad.

It might be CHEM (therefore BCPM) or it could be Health (HEAL) because there is a focus on human health. What department offers the course?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response! The General Education Program (GEP) natural science offers this course.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want it to count, classify it as BCPM. The worst that can happen is that AAMC will change it. Or, if you don't do really well, call it AO (all other) and see if AAMC reclassifies it the other way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I agree you can try to classify it as BCPM but it could be switched over to AO by the verifier. If it is a general Education course, I would lean to Other but I would need to see the syllabus.

Reactions: 1 users
Could a soil science course be classified under BCPM?
This is the description,
"Fundamentals of soils including origin, composition and classification; their physical, chemical, and biological properties; significance of these properties to soil-plant relationships and soil management."

I took a Psychology course called Cognitive processes a year ago, and I was wondering if I can list it under BCPM for my app?
Someone who graduated a year before me said they did that and it worked for them, but I'm still hesitant to try.
This is the course description,
"Introduction to research and theory in cognition, including such topics as memory, acquisition and use of language, reading, problem-solving, reasoning, and concepts." Thank you!

This is the description,
"Fundamentals of soils including origin, composition and classification; their physical, chemical, and biological properties; significance of these properties to soil-plant relationships and soil management."
I took a Psychology course called Cognitive processes a year ago, and I was wondering if I can list it under BCPM for my app?
Someone who graduated a year before me said they did that and it worked for them, but I'm still hesitant to try.
"Introduction to research and theory in cognition, including such topics as memory, acquisition and use of language, reading, problem-solving, reasoning, and concepts." Thank you!
I have merged your threads to the first post where you asked about a toxicology course. Please refer to AMCAS course classification guide mentioned to you earlier when deciding what to classify your courses as.

The psych class is likely not going to fall under BCPM.

Reactions: 2 users
that's probably not gonna be it. Though I got my abnormal psych and developmental psych counted as BCMP. Usually if your psych class covers a good chunk of neuroscience you'd have a good chance

Reactions: 2 users
that's probably not gonna be it. Though I got my abnormal psych and developmental psych counted as BCMP. Usually if your psych class covers a good chunk of neuroscience you'd have a good chance
How did you get those 2 courses counted as BCPM?

This is the description,
This sounds like Natural and Physical Sciences to me, not BCPM.

Thanks everyone for your help!
I'm planning to count this as BCPM, and just wanted to confirm if you all agree.
Biological Psychology
"Biological mechanisms of behavior, including elementary neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, sensory and motor processes, and their application to motivation, learning, and psychological processes."
Thanks!