Would this major be frowned upon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocHopefl

TheFuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

i was wondering if a DO school would look down on someone who has a degree in Social Work and has a minor in Chemistry? i know that they like to have people with a variety, but do you all think they would frown upon this?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no way they would look down on you. I would assume they would love your mixture of Social Science and Physical Science.

I don't think any major would hurt you. The most unique instance I know is that I met a girl who majored in Fashion Design and Merchandising and is currently in her 2nd year of med school.

It doesn't matter to admission committees. You still had to do the med pre-reqs, that's all that matters. They love things that make you unique and different from everyone else.

FutureDocHopefl said:
hey everyone,

i was wondering if a DO school would look down on someone who has a degree in Social Work and has a minor in Chemistry? i know that they like to have people with a variety, but do you all think they would frown upon this?

thanks!
Nope. One of my buddies at school is a soc major. You'll be fine. :luck:

I've seen a lot of threads lately asking about if certain majors are better than others. I can't think of a single major that the admissions committee looks down on. In my class the vast majority of the students were science majors, but we also have an acting major, a Chinese major and even a culinary arts major. You can study anything you want in undergrad… just make sure that you take a lot of science classes. I know at our school they like to see about 20 science credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kubed said:
Nope. One of my buddies at school is a soc major. You’ll be fine. :luck:

I’ve seen a lot of threads lately asking about if certain majors are better than others. I can’t think of a single major that the admissions committee looks down on. In my class the vast majority of the students were science majors, but we also have an acting major, a Chinese major and even a culinary arts major. You can study anything you want in undergrad… just make sure that you take a lot of science classes. I know at our school they like to see about 20 science credits.
I agree. And I got into Kubed's school with the bare pre-requisites and not so stellar stats with a Pysch major. :thumbup:

I was another psych major. None of the schools I interviewed at seemed to care one way or another. As long as your GPA is good, I don't think it matters at all what you majored in. Good luck. :)

Liberal Studies major here, I had multiple acceptances.

FutureDocHopefl said:
hey everyone,

thanks!

I have a women's studies degree and I'm just about finished with a masters in the same. minors in chemistry and history, sub-3.0 science GPA. you'll be fine. ;)

Do whatever major you want.. take the required premed classes and throw a few upper level science classes in to show the schools that you can handle a bit more than the basic premed classes. That is if your major is not a science major. My friend majored in dance.. did the premed classes and added cell biology and biochem....

FutureDocHopefl said:
hey everyone,

thanks!

We can always use a few more social work folks in medicine :thumbup:

I was actually a Finance major in undergrad. Talking to doctors, all of them thought this was a great idea, since it would be very useful to have this training as a doctor. Unfortunately, Med schools did not agree. After not being accepted(by any MD schools) the first time around, I called a few of the schools, and some of them straight up told me it was because I was a Finance/Business major, and suggested going back to school to take more biology classes. They all like to say that major doesn't matter, but I guess not. Osteopathic Schools, however, seemed more receptive and less biased towards this degree.

FutureDocHopefl said:
hey everyone,

thanks!

Again, nope. a buddy of mine was a philosophy major in undergrad. all they look at are pre req grades, mcat, extracurr etc. in fact, it might even be to your advantage to have majored somethin else cuz it shows well-roundedness, and osteo schools love that.

As long as you do well in the prereqs, it can be to your advantage not to major in a natural science.

I was a psych. major and am currently finishing up a MS in counseling. I think being well rounded can only make you a better physician, and adcoms know this.