Would this matter??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I hope break is going well!!

I have been looking at research positions and one person who is interested in mentoring me doesn't have very good English. Would this matter in terms of recommendation letters in the future? I know how important it is for LORs to be really good and so if English is his second language and even with simple emails it is obvious that his English is unclear, would it matter?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

im sure if he accepts you as a mentee, he has had mentees in the past and has had to write recommendations, so he probably has some sense of what goes into them. i worked w/ a PI who had pretty bad english but he would write great grants bc he would just follow the model of other grants and have people proofread them- he might even just let you write your own rec and then sign it. dont let this stop you from working w/ him!

shouldn't be a problem, just have his secretary or another co-worker proofread it so that you can still waive access to it.

I wouldn't be worrying about LOR if you have not even started your research yet. If you form a strong relationship, then you will have a good LOR.