• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Lagniappe

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Having graduated 12 years ago and not taken any classes since, it will be a challenge for me to get LOR from former professors. I have the big one covered (I've tracked down and contacted my pharmacy school advisor and he's agreed to write me a LOR), but my dilemma comes IF I need a LOR from a non-science professor. There was one teacher I really bonded with, spent a good deal of after-class time in her office, and even at that time she encouraged me to forget pharmacy and do medical school instead. So, I feel that with a little prompting she would probably remember me well enough to write me a LOR. Here's the thing: I knew she no longer taught at my university, so as I've been searching for her current location on the Internet, I've learned that a couple of years ago she was fired from a high school position (complete with media buzz) because of a "racially insensitive" comment that she made during class. She is currently back in a university-teaching position in a different state. So, my question to you guys is would you use this professor as a reference IF a non-science LOR is required?

Lshapley

Old Man Med Student
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Portland
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Honestly, you are going to have more of a problem with the fact that you haven't taken a class in 12 years. I was in a similar position to you and I called up the med schools and they all said that I needed to show recent coursework, regardless of gpa (mine was borderline acceptable). You only need to take a few, like 2 or 3, to show that your brain is still in working order assuming you don't need to do any gpa repair.

As for the LOR, I would suggest taking a humanities class in that mix if you have a science gpa above 3.5/3.6 so that you don't need to ask for a recommendation from the former professor who is in the middle of this scandal. In a worst case scenario, a bad LOR can sink you and one from someone who was fired for racist comments could reflect poorly on your application. I would avoid asking her for a LOR, even if you think she was innocent.

Lagniappe

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
That's pretty much what I was thinking, too, it just help to hear it from someone else. Academia is a small world, and I have enough obstacles to overcome as it is. Thanks for the input!

About the Ads

Lagniappe

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
No, this is the only place I post. Why, have you come across this sort of topic before?

Lshapley

Old Man Med Student
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Portland
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
That's pretty much what I was thinking, too, it just help to hear it from someone else. Academia is a small world, and I have enough obstacles to overcome as it is. Thanks for the input!

Yeah. Don't sweat it, I don't think the academic LORs are that important to us beyond showing that we are good diligent students. That is what my advisor, who was an admissions director at a medical school previously, said. The vast majority of academic LORs are bland and just say the person is a good student. As non-trads, we can really shine with our other LORs that the other applicants won't have because they are younger.

Good luck!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.