Would you approach this prof. for a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lagniappe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having graduated 12 years ago and not taken any classes since, it will be a challenge for me to get LOR from former professors. I have the big one covered (I've tracked down and contacted my pharmacy school advisor and he's agreed to write me a LOR), but my dilemma comes IF I need a LOR from a non-science professor. There was one teacher I really bonded with, spent a good deal of after-class time in her office, and even at that time she encouraged me to forget pharmacy and do medical school instead. So, I feel that with a little prompting she would probably remember me well enough to write me a LOR. Here's the thing: I knew she no longer taught at my university, so as I've been searching for her current location on the Internet, I've learned that a couple of years ago she was fired from a high school position (complete with media buzz) because of a "racially insensitive" comment that she made during class. She is currently back in a university-teaching position in a different state. So, my question to you guys is would you use this professor as a reference IF a non-science LOR is required?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, you are going to have more of a problem with the fact that you haven't taken a class in 12 years. I was in a similar position to you and I called up the med schools and they all said that I needed to show recent coursework, regardless of gpa (mine was borderline acceptable). You only need to take a few, like 2 or 3, to show that your brain is still in working order assuming you don't need to do any gpa repair.

As for the LOR, I would suggest taking a humanities class in that mix if you have a science gpa above 3.5/3.6 so that you don't need to ask for a recommendation from the former professor who is in the middle of this scandal. In a worst case scenario, a bad LOR can sink you and one from someone who was fired for racist comments could reflect poorly on your application. I would avoid asking her for a LOR, even if you think she was innocent.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, too, it just help to hear it from someone else. Academia is a small world, and I have enough obstacles to overcome as it is. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Off topic but-

Do you post on LHCF or DGSC?

No, this is the only place I post. Why, have you come across this sort of topic before?

That's pretty much what I was thinking, too, it just help to hear it from someone else. Academia is a small world, and I have enough obstacles to overcome as it is. Thanks for the input!

Yeah. Don't sweat it, I don't think the academic LORs are that important to us beyond showing that we are good diligent students. That is what my advisor, who was an admissions director at a medical school previously, said. The vast majority of academic LORs are bland and just say the person is a good student. As non-trads, we can really shine with our other LORs that the other applicants won't have because they are younger.

Good luck!

No, this is the only place I post. Why, have you come across this sort of topic before?

Naw,

I know someone with your username on that forum. Her advice is always excellent!