Would you do it again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kfre2435

MD Hopeful
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have several questions for physician-scientists out there as I consider my own path:

What are you currently doing?

What path did you follow to become a physician-scientist?

What were some of the pros/cons of that route?

Why did you choose to go that route?

Would you do it again or change anything? Why or why not?

EDIT: I want to thank anyone who answers. Your comments would definitely be appreciated. I am stressing out about choosing to pursue a MD/PhD or a MD-only.

Members don't see this ad.

I have several questions for physician-scientists out there as I consider my own path:

What are you currently doing?

Research track resident.

What path did you follow to become a physician-scientist?

Research track -> research/clinical combined fellowship -> K23 -> R01 -> babes

What were some of the pros/cons of that route?

pros: this is the standard route, usually workable at this time, especially for largely clinical/translational research involving humans. In my specialty it's very common to do 10-20% private practice in the clinical specialty that you specialize, then do clinical/translational research in that field.

cons: for basic/translational basic researchers, the appropriate grant is K08 -> R01. Usually this is preceded by a research fellowship. This is a bit more harrowing but also doable. The length of training is (maybe slightly) longer. MD only researchers going for the K23 path for clinical research need more training, likely in the public health school. MD only researchers in the basic path requires a longer postdoc.

Why did you choose to go that route?

Is there any other route?

Would you do it again or change anything? Why or why not?

Don't see a choice. I suppose if you only want to do research you can do a PhD only, but that's very painful. If you are deciding between MD/PhD and MD, I think it's highly unlikely for anyone to do basic research with only an MD (unlike the bygone era).

Thank you for your response, sluox. I guess this wasn't very popular.

Members don't see this ad :)
not that it isn't popular or a good idea, but I feel that this subject has been discussed recently in other threads.

Would you please link me to those other threads? I would appreciate seeing them.

I have read extensively, but would like some more personal feedback on the choices and careers of people who follow this route. I have considered sending emails to MD/PhD students at schools I am interested in, but I do not know how well that would be received.