Would you go to the biotech industry or NIH if you were me....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silent Cool

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I will be applying to med school and I am currently working at a biotech company. I have the option to continue working there or to apply to a research fellowship at NIH. Unfortunately, I have to decide if I want to continue my job contract (giving me a permanent job with nice, comfy beni's) or take a chance, and end it and apply to the NIH deal. Pro of biotech: more money. Pros of NIH: research experience with top person, chance to publish.

My questions: Which do you think would be more valuable to an ad com? How about a residency committee? I might also mention this isn't a start-up; this is the biggest biotech in the world.

Please let me know what your thoughts are regarding this.
Thanx.
:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I think both would look good to an admissions committee, and you should do the one you want.

Good luck :)

I was facing the same dilemma during my med school app process. I debated for a long time. Merek was willing to pay twice what the NIH would. I ended up choosing the NIH for many reasons. The job was in DC which is a super fun town. The hours were very flexible. The job basically comes with the understanding that it is a one to two year thing and thus there are no hard feelings when I wanted to go to med school. I did end up getting ten publications after a two year stint. Admit coms were salivating over all the research. NIH is quite prestigious and looks great on a resume. But, in the end both are great because med schools love students with research experience.

Biotech all the way.....the extra income tips the scale in favor of private sector work.

hey everyone,

thanks for all the great info. you have definitely given me something to chew on. how competitive is the IRTA? what are the most important factors in selection? the website said that fewer than 10% of applicants get it, but some SDNers said that if you contact PIs beforehand then you are very likely to get a spot. What do you think? Also, do most ppl who do it get published?

thanx

Silent Cool said:
hey everyone,

thanks for all the great info. you have definitely given me something to chew on. how competitive is the IRTA? what are the most important factors in selection? the website said that fewer than 10% of applicants get it, but some SDNers said that if you contact PIs beforehand then you are very likely to get a spot. What do you think? Also, do most ppl who do it get published?

thanx
definitely contact PIs beforehand. not sure how competitive it is, but if you find a PI and get them on your side, you'll definitely get a spot. particulary (as it sounds in your case) you have experience. i did 3 years at the NIH and we had loads of IRTAs. some through "the system" and others through the PI. and yes, if you set it as a goal, you will definitely publish. but choose a good PI/mentor who will look after your interests as well as his/her won. these kind of folks do exist.
best of luck.