Would you recommend this specialty to med students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulM3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you recommend Radiology to a third year med student? If so, why or why not?

*This is assuming you enjoy/tolerate the daily work of a Radiologist, we all know that one should pursue what he or she enjoys. I've recently finished an elective rotation in Rads and enjoyed the work; however, I'm skeptical as I'm sure a one-month rotation doesn't adequately provide me with a complete picture of the field.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely. There may be 30 posts below me talking about job market, bad hours, and how you can have an easier lifestyle and retire earlier by doing X specialty instead of rads.

In short, imaging is at the center of nearly all specialties and often drives their management, the technology is awesome, it's mentally stimulating (and exhausting at times), and you can have no, few, or many procedures depending on your job and subspecialty. I don't necessarily miss patient contact but when I was a med student deciding between rads and non-rads, my thought process was I could serve a greater number of patients with rads, which I feel still holds true.

In entertaining your interest, just beware, for whatever reason, there are abundant trolls on internet forums that dedicate their free time to try and convince medical students not to go into rads.

Reactions: 2 users
It really depends on the person in my opinion. I personally feel that diagnostic radiology can be isolating, particularly in private practice. Referring doctors rarely come by the reading room like they did in years past. Mammo and IR are always good options for radiologists who want to interact with others during the day.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to know. I'm doing IR, and thought I liked diagnostics enough to be a general DR during the first part of my residency. Even within diagnostics, there are things I absolutely hate (pedi, for example), and things I enjoy (neuro).

Absolutely yes. Despite all the talk of AI, corporate america, decreasing reimbursements, etc., I still love the technology, variety of cases, decreased scut/admin work, leaving the hospital without any worries, sitting behind a desk with my coffee and music, short meaningful procedures, short meaningful patient interaction, ability to work from home, high income, and even the ability to work in an outpatient setting with more controllable hours and no weekends or call (i.e. breast imager).

Reactions: 3 users
I would do radiology again in a heartbeat. I am finishing up residency and while call can be extremely tough, I still wouldn't do anything else. As txguy mentioned, the technology and variety of cases makes radiology so appealing. Plus from an academic standpoint, there nothing like having real academic time and being able to teach residents. Radiology provides that opportunity better than most. This is why I am going into academics.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Agree with everything txguy said. As an R1, there is night and day difference between how much I enjoy going to work and studying this year compared to intern year. Intern year confirmed for me that patient contact is super overrated due to all the strings that come attached with it (basically all the non-medical busy work).

Reactions: 1 user
As a slightly older or non-traditional med student, is radiology a good specialty for someone who wants career longevity? I want to be able to work until I'm in my 70s if possible. Thanks!

As a slightly older or non-traditional med student, is radiology a good specialty for someone who wants career longevity? I want to be able to work until I'm in my 70s if possible. Thanks!

There used to be a stat floated around that said something like half of all radiologists will never fully retire. I suspect that was #fakenews even before private practice radiology turned into a grind, but it's still instructive. It's not a physically demanding specialty, like the way a surgeon might have to use his/her hands and be on his/her feet for hours on end. Even though I can't imagine slogging through a PP call weekend when I'm 70, there are other options out there, like the VA or part-time teleradiology. Also, I'm familiar with some groups that require radiologists to become part-time employees when reaching an age threshold, which would be more sustainable.

Reactions: 2 users