Would you still go to med school if it was 3 years of pre-clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've finished my first week of M1, and I can tell the next couple of years aren't going to be too much fun. Doable, but a little sucky. Hypothetically, if there was a 3rd year of book learning (with an equivalent amount of info as 1st and 2nd year) along with two years of clinical afterward, would you still go to med school, or would the suck be too much?

EDIT: No extra tuition or living expenses for 3rd year. Pretend that's not part of the equation.

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-clinicals sucked way less than 3rd year. No one was grading me on my "enthusiasm" during M1.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't think any pre-med can answer that

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The preclinical years were the best years of my life aside from post match 4th year

Yes I'd still go but 3 years of material on STEP 1 would be even more overkill than it already is.

is M3 really that bad?

Reactions: 1 user
I've finished my first week of M1, and I can tell the next couple of years aren't going to be too much fun. Doable, but a little sucky. Hypothetically, if there was a 3rd year of book learning (with an equivalent amount of info as 1st and 2nd year) along with two years of clinical afterward, would you still go to med school, or would the suck be too much?

EDIT: No extra tuition or living expenses for 3rd year. Pretend that's not part of the equation.

Yes.

Though I really don't know what you're sacrificing by not doing those M3 rotations. Probably a PGY2+ would have better perspective on how that would affect one in practice.