Would you still want to be a doctor if compensation was different?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yuliya11111 said:
*Sigh*

I really do wish people would read these threads or arguments more carefully, if they are going to post an opinion abot someone else's post. EctopicFetus, I didn't say I'd do it for 50000 compensation. However, I also don't need to earn over 100,000 to feel comfortable (as some ppl. on this forum apparently do).

My POINT (which you missed) however was that whoever scoffed at living on 50K/year needs a reality check. They laughed at a 50K salary without knowing realizing that other ppl.'s goals might be a little different from theirs. Not everyone plans to have a family, not everyone wants to have 2.5 kids, send them to Ivy League, take a vacation everyyear, and generally live an upper class lifestyle. 50K year is quite enough for a married couple with no kids not living in an obnoxiously expensive city like NYC or San Francisco. Last time I checked, that was middle class salary, which constitues majority of Americans.

I will continue to scoff at those who talk all high and mighty about how "little" they need to get by. It seems that many on this board could survive on low incomes, but can evidently not survive w/o taking the time to display some false altruism by making meaningless posts about their willingness to forgo future earnings, which, in reality they will never actually relingquish.

Members don't see this ad.

oudoc08 said:
The majority of Americans don't spend an average of 10-15 years of their lives relatively "income free" either (my term for being in school/res).
So if doctors don't deserve to be "upper class" w/ the salary it entails, then who does?

Most of the people who agreed that 50k would be enough did so with the condition that med school/res would be drastically altered, especially in its financial burdens.

Unfortunately, you can't predict salary based on who "deserves it".

Who needs professional athletes? No one. But they make millions.
Who needs doctors? Everyone. But they make much less on average.
Even your mother, who had the most important job in the world, did so free of monetary compensation.

Even products work this way. You pay thousands for a decorative diamond but next to nothing for water. It's a crazy world. Good thing I am too.