Would you tell your prof?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkyg07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yea.. I'm taking an upper level science course this semester and let me just say that my professor does not give back exams to students.

Fifteen minutes into my latest exam I hear a friend in the row behind me whispering to one our mutual friends. Anyways they both ended up with the same scores and the exact same answers, and I have no idea how the professor did not hear them as he paced up and down the room.

After the exam I talked to my friend about it and he was surprised that I could hear him and continued to tell me (I have no idea how) that he got his hands on our professor's exam from last Spring. According to him the Spring exam had 25/50 of the exact same questions as our exam did. So here I am, not sure whether I should tell the professor or not. A FF is pretty devastating and I don't want to ruin his chances at pharmacy school. On the other hand this isn't fair to everyone else in the class and I've haven't talked to him since. Blah. What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

SDN always reminds me to never, ever befriend premeds.

So yea.. I'm taking an upper level science course this semester and let me just say that my professor does not give back exams to students.

Fifteen minutes into my latest exam I hear a friend in the row behind me whispering to one our mutual friends. Anyways they both ended up with the same scores and the exact same answers, and I have no idea how the professor did not hear them as he paced up and down the room.

After the exam I talked to my friend about it and he was surprised that I could hear him and continued to tell me (I have no idea how) that he got his hands on our professor's exam from last Spring. According to him the Spring exam had 25/50 of the exact same questions as our exam did. So here I am, not sure whether I should tell the professor or not. A FF is pretty devastating and I don't want to ruin his chances at pharmacy school. On the other hand this isn't fair to everyone else in the class and I've haven't talked to him since. Blah. What would you do?

If you're seriously contemplating doing anything other than keeping your mouth shut, you're a ****ty friend :thumbup:

:edit: Retsage, my sentiments exactly

Members don't see this ad :)

Just weigh out the pro's and cons of telling. If the costs far outweigh the benefits, don't tell. However, if the class is curved and their scores did raise the curve significantly, then that is cause enough to tell the prof.

Check out this current thread on cheating:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=577576

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on this topic, so I'll just give you mine for starters. If this person is your friend and you feel you must do something, do it very indirectly. For example, you can tell your prof that you heard students were studying/cheating off old exams. You don't have to tell the prof who was cheating...in fact, sending the prof an anonymous email might be even better.

If you do decide to tell the prof (and I'm not saying you necessarily should), I would do it anonymously and wouldn't specifically say who was doing the actual cheating. I would just send an anonymous email saying something to the effect of "I've noticed people cheating in your class and this is how they're doing it, etc..."

Just weigh out the pro's and cons of telling. If the costs far outweigh the benefits, don't tell. However, if the class is curved and their scores did raise the curve significantly, then that is cause enough to tell the prof.

You are scummy as hell for this.

You are scummy as hell for this.

What's so wrong with that? I don't care for cheating until the cheaters get higher scores or even set the curve. OP, I'd say do what you need to do, but an anonymous email will always do the trick.

Yes, I understand. If the friend's cheating has no effect on you, no problem. The second it becomes bad for you, you'll turn him in quick snap.

As I said, scummy.

Who is the better person, the one cheating or the one who is indifferent to cheating until it affects them. This is no different than hearing a car alarm go off in the street. No one really goes out to see if the car is being robbed, but once any person believes it to be their own car, they go out and check on it.

Who is the better person, the one cheating or the one who is indifferent to cheating until it affects them. This is no different than hearing a car alarm go off in the street. No one really goes out to see if the car is being robbed, but once any person believes it to be their own car, they go out and check on it.

I'm sorry, but that analogy is ridiculously terrible and makes no sense.

I didn't realize your friend was stealing your car.

The bottom line is simple - you would rat out a friend for 2% on a midterm. This makes you a scumbag. Period. End of discussion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just like the student has responsibilities, I think that profs. have responsibilities.

As long as the students did not cheat during the exam (talk to eachother)...I think it is the professors fault for not either collecting ALL exams after last years test administration OR being too lazy to write a new test or at least change the questions slightly.

If the students had the test illegally (i.e. they got it from a friend who did not turn his test packet in the previous year) then i think you should tell.

Had they had the previous years test and none of the questions were the same, would this still be an issue...no. So the fact that they sought out a study guide shows they are the type of ppl who go above and beyond.

If they knew that the test was going to be the same/similar then I would tell the head of the department and say that:
A) the prof uses old tests
B) students had old tests and the grades should be void

BOOM!
Game over

If the students had the test illegally (i.e. they got it from a friend who did not turn his test packet in the previous year) then i think you should tell.

Just for suggesting this, you are a scumbag.:laugh:

Odds are I won't tell and was never planning on it. To be honest I would have rather not been included in this matter altogether.

Getting a grade you did not earn is "scummy" as the frequent poster in this thread likes to say. For the record, the class isn't even curved. I just think it's wrong that people earn grades and spots in graduate programs they do not deserve.

But hey I'm the horrible friend for having scruples and the need to think out the situation. Where as the person cheating who had no regard for other people while be academically dishonest is the person being wronged here. He can screw people over no problem. I can't think out the situation and ask for advice. My bad, I get it now.

If a prof reuses exams, test q's, etc, then having access to those is not cheating. At the very least, they could rephrase the q's. I had a biochem teacher who had 5 exams, which he re-used over and over. He would take the exams and not return them, but people had most of the answers anyways. Three reasons:

1) People would memorize a q or two, and write them in ever growing list.
2) Some people would take 2 exams, keep one and turn the other in.
3) The prof would give students his old exams if he liked them.

If you really want to do something helpful, leave an anonymous note for the professor telling him that students had used old exams to prepare for this year's course. Then you can at least help the prof avoid the problem for future exams.

Lots of people get crap they don't deserve. Let them screw themselves. I don't think you can cheat your way through boards.

The bottom line is simple - you would rat out a friend for 2% on a midterm. This makes you a scumbag. Period. End of discussion.

Why do you hate me so?

If you really want to do something helpful, leave an anonymous note for the professor telling him that students had used old exams to prepare for this year's course. Then you can at least help the prof avoid the problem for future exams.

Seriously, this will solve all your problems... You don't have to rat out your friend, and you can also fulfill your "moral duty" and help out the professor curb the amount of cheating that goes on.

Why do you hate me so?

[Don't take it personally, this has been Retsage's very consistent attitude on friendship/cheating.]

FTR, I don't think turning in a friend makes you a scumbag (generally speaking). No one ever really WANTS to do a thing like that. No one wants their friends to cheat either.

But yeah, OP, I don't know what I'd do in your shoes except possibly be very annoyed and then maybe follow TMR's approach of sending the teacher an anonymous note that "there may have been cheating going on during this exam".

Look, I don't know what you guys consider friendship, but you do not rat out a friend for cheating on a test, and you especially don't do it for personal gain. It rather scares me that I may inadvertently befriend people who would, because they'll have absolutely no qualms with sticking a knife in my back the second it becomes convenient for them.

I wouldn't snitch on a friend because that's not very friendly -_- I would talk to them about it and ask them not to cheat because it's unfair. You've got to be one hell of a bit*h to rat out a real friend. Even if your friend did extremely well I doubt he affected the curve that much. If I ratted my friend out I would consider myself a horrible person. It's a shame that this question is so difficult for people to answer, it's pretty straight forward.

Don't Snitch.

:thumbdown: You is wrong, sista.

Look, I don't know what you guys consider friendship, but you do not rat out a friend for cheating on a test, and you especially don't do it for personal gain. It rather scares me that I may inadvertently befriend people who would, because they'll have absolutely no qualms with sticking a knife in my back the second it becomes convenient for them.

You cheated in the first place. Your fault.

Out of idle curiosity, what if it's just a person you sort of know socially? Does that make any difference in whether or not you'd turn them in?

What if the cheater is someone you REALLY dislike?

Out of idle curiosity, what if it's just a person you sort of know socially? Does that make any difference in whether or not you'd turn them in?

Then that's just a plus!

I don't think hes your friend if you're even contemplating completely screwing him over like that. uhmm, why aren't you in on the old exam anyway?

I don't think hes your friend if you're even contemplating completely screwing him over like that. uhmm, why aren't you in on the old exam anyway?

All's fair in love and competitive, curved, premed classes!

If I was in that position, I would probably talk to my friend and tell him not to do it again. If he did it again, I'd bust him like a pinata.

Just because you're friends doesn't mean that you have to approve of and, in this case, ignore what they do. It has nothing to do with taking advantage of him just to improve your grade. It's all about him doing something WRONG. In this particular situation, there is no curve, but what if there was? Then, this friend took advantage of YOU. THAT is scummy, being indifferent to others around oneself.

I don't have friends that would cheat, but if they did, I would talk to them first. If they continued to cheat and show no disregard for the rest of the students, including me, it's time to find a new friend. Taking the time to talk it out with him is the friendly thing to do; having to completely disregard his wrongdoings is not.

I think the OP said the class wasn't curved. Let's put this into consideration.

Yes, I would.

I do not befriend those whose activities I do not condone.

Cheaters will get their comeuppance in due time. Do you really want to carry around the feeling that you turned in a (former) friend? Just alert the prof.

Yes, this would make a difference. I know I've already been called a cheater in this thread, but I'm no fan of people who cheat. An acquaintance may be turned in, someone who I dislike will undoubtedly be. I'm not protecting people out of the mentality of NEVER SNITCH! The issue is loyalty to those you call friends. Something that people like Twigg seem to not understand.

Edit - And one more thing, turning someone in because the class is curved is so far worse than turning someone in when the class is not curved.

First of all, you don't want to let your friend know that it was YOU who turned them in!!! You can still be friends with him/her as long as he/she never finds out it was you who ratted him/her out in the first place.

Look, just tell the professor anonymously through a note in his mailbox, e-mail from another account, etc. Don't just waltz into his office during office hours and turn in your friend right then and there!

Good Christ, what is wrong with you?

Yes, this would make a difference. I know I've already been called a cheater in this thread, but I'm no fan of people who cheat. An acquaintance may be turned in, someone who I dislike will undoubtedly be. I'm not protecting people out of the mentality of NEVER SNITCH! The issue is loyalty to those you call friends. Something that people like Twigg seem to not understand.

Edit - And one more thing, turning someone in because the class is curved is so far worse than turning someone in when the class is not curved.

I tend to put myself before my friends, so... I guess you're right. I'm loyal, but up to the point where it starts affecting me.

haha that's what I was thinking! oh, you pre-meds, your threads are always entertaining.

haha that's what I was thinking! oh, you pre-meds, your threads are always entertaining.

No, it isn't. I may end up surrounded by these lunatics for four years.

Should have become a vet.

Wouldn't turning someone in because the class was not curved worse than if the class was curved? At least if the class was curved you would have reason of personal gain (better grade) to turn them in. If the class wasn't curved, then what you did would be purely for factors (revenge, entertainment, boredom, etc.) that don't directly affect your stats in the class.

I think that if you're gonna turn your friend in, you should talk to them about it first. At the very least stop being friends with them, cause stabbing them in the back then staying friends is pretty ****ty.

What do vets really do?

Status
Not open for further replies.